mamaw is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

YE Report_Total # claims up/down per dpt 2019 compared to 2018.

Hello,

I need to prepare a query/report that lists departments where the total number of claims reported for 2019 are up compared to 2018...I know how to prepare a query and report that lists all departments and total number of claims for 2019 in one column and 2018 in another...I also added two additional columns to show difference between the two years and also the percentage difference. So I can see up and down numbers, but I need to produce two separate reports: Departments with # Claims Up Compared to 2018 [show total number claims for each year and # claims up by comparison]. The other report would report # claims down...

Please help....

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Suggest you show us what you have done.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Your percentages are positive and negative? Then with one report, apply a filter based on that. Modify identifying information in the report accordingly if need be. Could use OpenArgs property when opening report to do that. Unless you want a totally different format, don't create 2 reports. I suppose if you're opening reports from the left nav pane then you'd need 2 reports, but you shouldn't be doing that.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

mamaw is offline Novice
    Here's what I have do so far...

TRANSFORM Count(Accidents.ID) AS [# claims]
    SELECT Accidents.Department
    FROM Accidents
    GROUP BY Accidents.Department
    ORDER BY Accidents.Department, Format([DateOccurrence],"yyyy")
    PIVOT Format([DateOccurrence],"yyyy");
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RPT_Incidents Up_Down 2019 vs 2018.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	44175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Incidents Up_Down Qry.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	44176

mamaw is offline Novice
    typo!!! Here's what I have DONE so far

mamaw is offline Novice
    Yes, positive and negative. Report package that I need to put together requires two separate reports...one for # claims up and another for # claims down. What would I enter as filter? I replied with a copy of what I have done so far...

mamaw is offline Novice
    I have provided you with "what I have done so far." I hope I have provided you with sufficient information … let me know if you need additional. I know how to prepare the reports by exporting the data to Excel, but I really prefer using Access since that's where I prepare 90% of the other reports for this Year-End package.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Surely that report's recordsource isn't the query you posted?
    Just filter the report when you open it: [Incidents] > 0 or [Incidents] < 0 as already mentioned? If you need help with that, explain how you're opening the report and we can suggest a modification.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

mamaw is offline Novice
    I need help with where, what and how to enter filter so that my report will display only records where [2019] - [2018] > 0
    I have attached a screen print of the design view of my report and query.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	# Incidents Up Down Report.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	44192

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you need help with that, explain how you're opening the report and we can suggest a modification.
    If you don't answer the questions I can't help. Those pictures have not helped much at all with anything. You could also copy the db, compact and zip it and upload it here.

mamaw is offline Novice
    I answered to the best of my ability as quickly as possible....I cant send you the db because it contains confidential information. Sorry that the screen shots are not beneficial. I typically prepare these incidents up/down reports in Excel and the other YE reports in Access. My goal was to have ALL of the YE reports run from Access. For time-sake and due date closing in, I will have to produce the up/down reports in Excel and get training for Access at another time.

Thank you for your time.

mamaw is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaw View Post
    I answered to the best of my ability as quickly as possible....I cant send you the db because it contains confidential information. Sorry that the screen shots are not beneficial. I typically prepare these incidents up/down reports in Excel and the other YE reports in Access. My goal was to have ALL of the YE reports run from Access. For time-sake and due date closing in, I will have to produce the up/down reports in Excel and get training for Access at another time.

Thank you for your time.
    FYI, not sure if I'm answering with the correct terminology, but I access the report from the list of Objects under Reports...just click on the report and print preview/print.

Thank you for your time.

Frustrated....even now I'm having difficulty getting this edited reply to send ... no fault of yours ... I have a lot to learn...

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You have little to no options by opening reports from the nav pane. Use a form. Want to see the 'up' values of a particular metric? Then perhaps as just one of many possibilities
    - user opens a reports form
    - chooses from a combo list of reports from tblReports (report name field shows "rptYEincrease", description field shows "Year End Metric Increase by Percent") actual name is hidden in the combo. Could use autonumber in code if table has one, or just refer to the report name
    - AfterUpdate of combo opens report and passes the filter argument (following is just an example)
    Code:
    Private Sub cmbReports_AfterUpdate

Select Case Me.cmbReports
      Case This
        Do stuff

Case That
        Do stuff

Case "rptYEincrease"
        DoCmd.OpenReport, "rptYEincrease",acViewPreview,,"Incident>0"

End Select

End Sub

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.