virgilio is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

"The database has been placed in a state by user X on machine X tha prevents it from being ...."

The full message is:

"The database has been placed in a state by user X on machine X that prevents it from being opened or locked"

I don't see this message when I use the machine, but my users do. This database is saved to a shared drive which is mapped to our corporate laptops, much like a NAS server would be. I imagine that I have no problem opening and updating the database because I am the original author.

I'm at a bit of a loss for what to do because I don't get the error message myself.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    We get this error a lot. Theres a bug w current OS vs network access db.
    Dont let everyone use the same db on the network, split the db and give EVERY person their own frontend on their PC. (or their own personal network folder)
    That stops the error.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    What do you mean by splitting the db?

JohnGeeee is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Put all the tables in a separate database referred to as the Back End and then all your forms , queries, reports etc in another separate database referred to as the front end. Then in the front end use the Linked Table Manager to connect it to the back end database. Do not create any more table in the front end, they only go in the back end Then you can distribute the front end to all your users.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    before the split, put the db on the server folder you want to use, then run the split.
    DO NOT USE DRIVE LETTERS. open the folder using UNC path: \\server\folder1\folder2

Then the FE will already be mapped correctly. remove the FE from the server and deliver to all users.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you all. I made the split, I didn't use the UNC Path but it is working for me on my machine with the BE on the server. I'm waiting for my guinea pig to answer back to see if it worked, if not I'll re-do it with full UNC path. Everyone who uses this is mapped to the same drive letter, so hopefully it will work for them. If not, I know what to do.

I'll mark as closed.

JohnGeeee is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well done. Sorry I forgot there is also a Split Database function already in Access, been that long since I used it ;-)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.