ctonline is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Bold and Hightlight text expression in access query

Does Access allow to Bold and Highlight an expression set up in Access query? I would like to bold the first name and hightlight the last name in yellow on the below expression. Thank you.

Expr1: [Employee_File]![First_name] & " " & [Employee_File]![Last_name]

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ctonline View Post
    Does Access allow to Bold and Highlight an expression set up in Access query? I would like to bold the first name and hightlight the last name in yellow on the below expression. Thank you.

Expr1: [Employee_File]![First_name] & " " & [Employee_File]![Last_name]

I don't believe that's possible.
    You'd be better of looking at presenting the data in form.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    to split the highlighting you would need to use richtext something like

Expr1: "<div><strong>" & [first_name] & "</strong> <font style=""BACKGROUND-COLOR:#FFFF00"">" & [last_name] & "</font></div>"

and in the query properties for that column set the text format property to rich text. Note this property can disappear once you have run the query for the first time so do this by creating a new column

However better to do this in a form, it will be more stable and users should not be looking at queries directly

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    to split the highlighting you would need to use richtext something like

Expr1: "<div><strong>" & [first_name] & "</strong> <font style=""BACKGROUND-COLOR:#FFFF00"">" & [last_name] & "</font></div>"

and in the query properties for that column set the text format property to rich text. Note this property can disappear once you have run the query for the first time so do this by creating a new column

However better to do this in a form, it will be more stable and users should not be looking at queries directly

Thank you. The HTML tag works great! Creating a query expression is useful for displaying the various fields information that you may want to copy and paste over to your email. I use the query expression for that.

Would a report or form format still work better for this? Can I create a form or report to display a query expression and to display it in the Richtext format that I want? Do I need to use the HTML tag as well?

Thanks.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    you need to use the html tags and it needs to be part of the value (aka Expr1) whether it is a form or a query.

it is standard practice that users do not have sight of tables and queries other than through forms/reports. If this is your db and there are no other users, I guess no reason why not to use a query, it just tends to set bad habits. With forms you can automate more (e.g. click a button to send an email, friendly validation checks and the like)

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks again. I find the query expression useful for combining the various fields information I need like the name, title, and ID number using the Concatenate feature to combine the various fields together then copying and pasting the information to my email instead of having to type it out. I use the button wizard to create a button on my form to open up the query with the expression.

Does Access form or report have a feature to combine the fields information into one display text box? Thanks.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    not so far as I am aware - ctrl-a will select all but probably won't paste as you require

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.