matey56 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365

Adding records to form

Hi,

I have a form that is controlled by what is selected in an unbound box in the header. I added an Add Record button and it opens a new empty record in the form. However, when I click to add data into that new record, it adds another blank record below it. How do I stop that from happening?

I'm missing something, I just don't know what it is. Here is the only code I have in there now....

Private Sub cmd_Add_Record_Click()
    Me.AllowAdditions = True
    End Sub

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The AllowAdditions property of the form does not add a new record in itself, it simply allows or denies the additions. Use DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec to do it in VBA:

https://www.techonthenet.com/access/modules/new_rec.php

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    The AllowAdditions property of the form does not add a new record in itself, it simply allows or denies the additions. Use DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec to do it in VBA:

https://www.techonthenet.com/access/modules/new_rec.php

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Sorry I'm such a novice. It's not working. What am I missing? I replaced the AllowAdditions command with the below and it gives me an error. With AllowAdditions it actually gives me a new blank record. With the below I get nothing.

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

End Sub

Gicu is online now VIP
    Open the form in design mode and in the form properties box set the AllowAdditions to Yes (=True). Now the code should work.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Perhaps the "Data Entry" property is set to YES?
    Open the form in design mode, open the form property sheet, click on the "Data" tab, look at "Data Entry" - ensure it is set to NO...

Windows 10 Office 365
    Open the form in design mode and in the form properties box set the AllowAdditions to Yes (=True). Now the code should work.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    So it works, but it's still doing the same thing as before. I click add a record, a new record form appears, I start typing in any box and a new blank row appears beneath that one. I don't want that new row to appear.

Not sure if it matters, but I'm using a multiple items form. So when I select from an unbound box in the header section, it shows a number of records for that product that have data. When I click add record it creates a blank record to add data.

Gicu is online now VIP
    You cannot stop that, it is the default way Access handles new records (soonest the "new" record gets some info and gets saved the new one appears). What is wrong with that, why would you want to suppress it? You need to provide more info on your intentions, but keep in mind that over-restricting "built-in" functionality usually is frustrating to your users.
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Perhaps the "Data Entry" property is set to YES?
    Open the form in design mode, open the form property sheet, click on the "Data" tab, look at "Data Entry" - ensure it is set to NO...
    It is already set to no.

Windows 10 Office 365
    You cannot stop that, it is the default way Access handles new records (soonest the "new" record gets some info and gets saved the new one appears). What is wrong with that, why would you want to suppress it? You need to provide more info on your intentions, but keep in mind that over-restricting "built-in" functionality usually is frustrating to your users.
    It's problematic because it's creating and saving a blank record on the form. It doesn't save the record to the table mind you (because it's blank), but when you select that product from the dropdown list in the future, the form shows a blank record benith the other records with data.

It's just like what happens when you enter data into a table...it adds a row at the end with the *. Except it's doing it with my form. Is there a way to maybe always make that * row not visible in the form?

Gicu is online now VIP
    Sorry, but I'm not following you, you say you don't end up with empty records in the table (good) but is saving a blank record on the form - it is not - it is just displaying a new record-placeholder on the form. Again, this is the default behaviour for Access forms that allow new data entry.

To do what you want (suppress the new record) you need to manipulate the AllowAdditions property of the form. So for example you set it to No by default so you don't see the new record when you open the form, then in your Add New Record button's Click event you turn it on:
    Code:
    Me.AllowAdditions = True
    End Sub
    And finally you need to turn it off again, probably in the form's AfterUpdate event once the new record was created:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
    If Me.AllowAdditions = True Then Me.AllowAdditions = False
    End Sub
    In my opinion all this is not really warranted, I think educating users about the default Access behaviour would be preferred...

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Sorry, but I'm not following you, you say you don't end up with empty records in the table (good) but is saving a blank record on the form - it is not - it is just displaying a new record-placeholder on the form. Again, this is the default behaviour for Access forms that allow new data entry.

To do what you want (suppress the new record) you need to manipulate the AllowAdditions property of the form. So for example you set it to No by default so you don't see the new record when you open the form, then in your Add New Record button's Click event you turn it on:
    Code:
    Me.AllowAdditions = True
    End Sub
    And finally you need to turn it off again, probably in the form's AfterUpdate event once the new record was created:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_AfterUpdate()
    If Me.AllowAdditions = True Then Me.AllowAdditions = False
    End Sub
    In my opinion all this is not really warranted, I think educating users about the default Access behaviour would be preferred...

Cheers,
    Vlad
    You got it. It's the new record placeholder that was popping up. I implemented your changes....it still pops up but now when I save the form it dissapears. That's good enough for me! Thank you so much for your help!!

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Your using a continuous form. Why not just use a single form?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.