louise is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

When backing up my Access database in Windows 10, I get a "not responding" error

When backing up my Access database in Windows 10, I most of the time get a "not responding" error.
    This often stays resolved and I have to close the program.

The db is 1,826,176 kb in size.
    It does not occur when I close another Access database that I use with the same software application.
    Any advice would be welcome. thanks.
    Louise

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Compact/repair regularly. Yours is getting too large.
    you're not storing images in it are you?

Hi, Thanks,
    No, I am not storing images, but I have been storing a lot of attachments.
    What is the upper limit on size.
    Thanks for the advice on Compact/repair. Should I be doing that every time?

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    2 gig is the limit.
    to save space, make a separate db to hold attachments, then link that table into your main db.
    or
    save all attachements on the server in their normal file, but save the PATH in the db.

Thank you!
    I'll do it.

Hello, Again,
    I have done as you suggested above -- taken all the attachments out of the database.
    Also, I had been getting an error when I tried to copy the main table: Cannot open database ".
    SO...I exported all to a new database.

The database is now 1.6GB, rather than 2GB, but the problems have not gone away. I still get the "cannot open database ". error when copying a table, and still very slow to back up.
    Can you make some suggestions as to what else I might try?

Thanks!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The 2GB limit includes overhead. If you attempt an operation that requires the use of some of that overhead then your issue will likely remain. Not 100% sure, but I suspect that to copy a table in a db as large as 1.6 GB could exceed what space you have left. Question is, is your file still large because of text type data or something else? How many records/fields/tables are we talking about here? You might have attachments that have remained in a system table.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is your db split?
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Also, I had been getting an error when I tried to copy the main table: Cannot open database ".
    SO...I exported all to a new database.

The database is now 1.6GB, rather than 2GB, but the problems have not gone away. I still get the "cannot open database ". error when copying a table
    How are you copying?

Suggest rather than trying to 'export'. Create a new db and use the import facility to bring the tables across - perhaps one at a time

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by moke123 View Post
    Is your db split?
    That is a good question. Also, this suggests it has been a problem in the making
    I tried to copy the main table
    Would not surprise me if there are many copies of many tables as a way of grouping data. Perhaps this db has 100 or so tables with many fields; tables which are very similar.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Hello,
    Thanks for all your thoughts about this! I will answer some of the questions raised above:

The database is not split, although I could pursue that option if it seems like a solution to my issues.
    Also, I will try creating a new db using import, rather than export, as someone suggested.

I do have copies of the tables within the database-- a main table and then BUs of it within the database. I see that eliminating them would be a route to cutting the size.
    Also, a couple of other smaller tables, one of which aggregates the data so the records are areas.

When I am unable to copy the table, I am right clicking on the table...copy...paste (with a new name).
    The data set has only about 90 records, but about 137 fields (mostly short text, some numbers/currency, one long text, no attachments)

I would be happy for other suggestions. And, will work on further drawing down the size.

Thanks, everyone!

Just to be clear, you are just making copies of tables as backups, as opposed to making a seperate database file as a backup?
    How many backup tables are there? Are you saving the copies as archives? Do you still use or access those tables?

Thats a problem as well as not splitting the DB. You should always split the db.

something to try...
    Make 2 new accdb files, one for a front end and the other as a backend.

Import all the "Live" tables into the new backend. Dont import the copies. In the other front end import all the forms, queries, modules, etc. but none of the tables.

relink the new front end to the new backend.

With a split batabase you only need to keep one development backup of the front end.
    To back up data you can make copies to your hearts content by saving a copy of the backend accdb.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Thanks for your response.
    I was saving coping of tables within the db and BU of the whole db. When I deleted the copies of the tables in my too-big database, it reduced the size by about a third (!). So, lesson learned there.
    I will follow your suggestion.

Could you tell me some more about how to "relink the new front end to the new backend? Thanks.

Use the linked table manager in the ribbon.

Personally I like the J-Street Relinker - https://www.jstreettech.com/downloads.aspx
    I always include it in my apps as I constantly move development copies between home and work computers.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.