znxm0i is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Trouble Creating Expiry Date Expression

Hello all,

It's been a very long time since I've tried to work with Access and I'm now having to try and dust off my skills. I have the following issue:

I have a table that has the following fields:
    Execution Date
    Duration

Expiry Date

The user will input a date in the the Execution Date field, and a numeric number in the Duration field. Based on the Execution Date field, and the numeric value in the Duration field, the Expiry Date field should auto-populate accordingly. But I don't understand how to write the expression. Below is what I have so far but it's not giving me the desired outcome because I don't know where to insert Duration into the expression.
    DateSerial(Year([Execution Date])+1,Month([Execution Date])+1,0)

I would appreciate greatly if anyone could please guide me along the right path on how to fix this. Thank you.

I would use the DateAdd() function and get rid of the ExpiryDate field.?

Calculate as required?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Also keep in mind that if Duration is (always) in days you can get the expiry date by a simple addition: ExpiryDate=[ExecutionDate] + [Duration]

As Welshgasman said, don't store the value if it will be ALWAYS CALCULATED; if you want to "tweak" it afterwards then you'll need to store it.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

znxm0i is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    I would use the DateAdd() function and get rid of the ExpiryDate field.?

Calculate as required?
    Thank you Vlad for providing a simple solution but for whatever reason I can't get your advice to work. Here's what I have:

Expiry Date field with a Data Type of "calculated"
    In the Expression for this field I'm entering: [Expiry Date]=[Execution Date]+[Duration]
    BUT I keep getting an error message that says "the expression cannot be saved because it refers to itself"

What am I NOT doing?

Remove "[Expiry Date]" ?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

znxm0i is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by znxm0i View Post
    Thank you Vlad for providing a simple solution but for whatever reason I can't get your advice to work. Here's what I have:

Expiry Date field with a Data Type of "calculated"
    In the Expression for this field I'm entering: [Expiry Date]=[Execution Date]+[Duration]
    BUT I keep getting an error message that says "the expression cannot be saved because it refers to itself"

What am I NOT doing?

Vlad,

I really need to keep the Expiry Date column. I have my data in Excel and was able to get it to work there, so I took a piece of my Excel formula and tried playing around with it in the Access expression and here's what I got to work:

DateSerial(Year([Execution Date]),Month([Execution Date]),Day([Execution Date])+[Duration]*365)

Thank you so much for your time. Have a fantastic weekend

Gicu is offline VIP
    You too, glad to hear you got it working. The formula you have looks a bit odd, what kind of units is the Duration in?

What do you get if you have [Execution Date]= Jan 30, 2021 and Duration =3 (days)? I think it would fail as DateSerial(2021,01,33) is not a valid date, so your Duration values would be fractions of a year (1 day=1\365)?

DateSerial(Year([Execution Date]),Month([Execution Date]),Day([Execution Date])+[Duration]*365)

I would have thought that using what gasman suggested would have worked for you but I do not know your data.

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

CJ_London is offline VIP
    would also be interested in knowing what duration represents and the expected outcome.

for a date of 1/3/2020 (uk format) and duration of 1, the result is 01/03/2021 - same day of month
    for a date of 31/3/2020 and duration of 1, the result is 31/03/2021 - same day of month

Build in a leap year and a date of 29/02/2020 gives you 28/02/2021, not 29th

and a date of 1/3/2019 gives you 29/02/2020, not 1st

make the duration longer, to encompass 2 leap years and the expiry date drops back another day.

seems to me duration is a number of years in which case you could use the dateadd function - except it is not a function you can use in a calculated field, only in a query or VBA

Perhaps the impact of leap years don't matter but if you really have to have it in your table try

DateSerial(Year([Execution Date])+[Duration],Month([Execution Date]),Day([Execution Date]))

Personally I recommend you don't try to apply excel methodology and layouts to database tables, they are completely different animals.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.