Question Redefine location of source of a ACCDB query

I am using Microsoft 365 Access. I found that I had an Access 2016 Bible kindle book, so I decided to use it. After I found a problem with it, I downloaded the Access 2019 Bible book files. I have the following problem with both source databases.

In chapter 7, the book instructs the reader to split the Northwind.accdb file. After I did that and tried to open a table, I received an error saying that the path the object pointed to was non-existent. This happens for all object types except macros and code modules. Is there a way to correct that?

Please note that I first encountered this error after I thought I could open a table, but not a query. That was when I decided to post my message here. But, as I said in the paragraph above, I receive this error for all object types except macros and code modules.

BTW, I am a newbie.

Thanks,

Jazz Engineer/Steve

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Quote Originally Posted by davegri View Post
    Dave,

You directed me to YouTubes that re-link tables. My problem isn't really with tables but the other objects associated with an application. Any more tips?

Steve

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Engineer View Post
    Dave,

You directed me to YouTubes that re-link tables. My problem isn't really with tables but the other objects associated with an application. Any more tips?

Steve
    Still seems like the most probable solution to me. Can you open a table by double clicking in the Navigation Pane?
    Another possibility is that the FE or BE is not in a Trusted Location.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe post the FE and BE for analysis?

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Maybe post the FE and BE for analysis?

These are the two error messages I receive:

I receive this error when I try to relink the database.

I don't have a server. Splitting the server occurred in the previous chapter (7). All table entries in the Navigation Pane point to an external database. Will splitting a database work if I don't have a server operating system?

Lastly, is it possible to restore a split database into one file?

Thanks,

Steve

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Engineer View Post
    These are the two error messages I receive:

I receive this error when I try to relink the database.

I don't have a server. Splitting the server occurred in the previous chapter (7). All table entries in the Navigation Pane point to an external database. Will splitting a database work if I don't have a server operating system?

Lastly, is it possible to restore a split database into one file?

Thanks,

Steve
    No error message displayed in your post.

You don't need a server. The FE and BE can be in the same folder in your PC.

The BE should contain only tables, with the FE containing everything else.
    When the BE tables are linked to the FE, the FE Navigation Pane should show the table icons with little arrows at the top. Hovering over the table icon should display a tip that shows the folder location of that table.
    You are not being helpful when not answering my questions. Again, Can you open a table by double clicking its icon in the Navigation Pane? If not, what error is displayed?
    Can you open a form? If not what error is displayed? How about a query?

If none of the above open properly, and you get errors that the table cannot be found, then the tables are NOT linked.
    It is possible to restore a split database to an unsplit state, but I need to know the status and condition of the BE and FE before offering specific advice.
    Your best bet is to upload the FE and BE here so that someone can take a look.

Arrow Problem solved, sort of

Quote Originally Posted by davegri View Post
    No error message displayed in your post.

You don't need a server. The FE and BE can be in the same folder in your PC.

The BE should contain only tables, with the FE containing everything else.
    When the BE tables are linked to the FE, the FE Navigation Pane should show the table icons with little arrows at the top. Hovering over the table icon should display a tip that shows the folder location of that table.
    You are not being helpful when not answering my questions. Again, Can you open a table by double clicking its icon in the Navigation Pane? If not, what error is displayed?
    Can you open a form? If not what error is displayed? How about a query?

If none of the above open properly, and you get errors that the table cannot be found, then the tables are NOT linked.
    It is possible to restore a split database to an unsplit state, but I need to know the status and condition of the BE and FE before offering specific advice.
    Your best bet is to upload the FE and BE here so that someone can take a look.

Dave, I found an updated version of Northwind online. After downloading it, I split the database. Problem solved. The FE knows about the BE and connects automatically.

BTW, I copied the error dialogs I received with SnagIt. But after saving, the images wouldn't show up.

For your question, no I could NOT open a table. And yes, the object icons did have an arrow by them pointing to a BE.

Thanks,

Steve

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Good to hear. Glad the split went OK for you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.