jmuirman1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

how to create client master list and connect to my contacts db?

I created my db 15 years ago. one of the many mistakes i made was not making more tables. For instance, my contacts table include all of my contact fields: client company name, client employee and so on.

Now I need a separate table for client so that I can have a master list of special handling procedures associated with a client company. i don't want to have to place special handling rules for every new client employee. One client company may have 1 to 200 client employees.

I have about 7500 client employees.

could i create a client special handling table and then use a combo box in my contacts form? would this take care of relationships?

The new table would have fields [clientname], [specialhandling], [businessgiftspolicy] and so on and guessing i would have to create these fields in my contacts table.

I use the contacts table for customers and other parties involved in claims - so i have 5 tables - contacts, contacts1, contacts2 and so on.

Am i on the right track?

Thanks,

John

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Instead of repeating client company name, should have a Companies table then save CompanyID as foreign key into Contact table.

A client special handling table may be appropriate. Why would you have to 'create these fields in my contacts table'?

I don't understand the 5 tables. Why not 1 table?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.