Travis is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Access 2016: Where do I find the "Allow Additions" property?

Hi.

I'm still very new to this. Please help!

I have a simple database. Two tables, one query work fine.

The form works fine to display data as well. But, it won't allow me to add records.

I have read enough to know that I need to set the "Allow Additions" property....but I can't find where to set it! Every thing I find on Google talks about setting the property by using VBA code, but I'm no where near that stuff yet. There must be a check box for it, no? But when I click on "View properties" on the name of the form on the left hand side of screen, I get a small box with not very many options to set.

Please.....where do I find that check box??

Thank you for the help!

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    It's under the Data tab of the forms properties.

Make sure that Form is displayed at the top of the properties section in the drop down box.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The setting is on the form property sheet Data tab. Form has to be in design view, ensure property sheet is visible. If not, see "Property Sheet" on ribbon Design group.
    The property is usually Yes by default so I suspect your issue is something else. If your form is bound to that query, make sure you can edit the query itself. If not, the issue isn't the form settings.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

The default (that I am aware of) when a form is created is Yes, for Additions, Deletions and Edits?

So you must have changed it in the first place.?
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I assume, from your description, that the Form is based on the Query. When you run the Query...can you add a Record to it?

Multi-table Queries are frequently Read-Only.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Travis is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    OP here. Yes, I found the "allow additions"control, and no, I did *not* change it to "No", and yes, the default is "Yes". And the form is based on a query, and yes, I have discovered that I can't add a record to the query either.

So how do I enable adding records? I'm guessing that it's not a short simple answer, and I gather that it has something to do with something called a "join". But can any of you Good Folks give me at least a little push in the right direction on how to begin learning about "joins"? (Or should I start another thread to ask about that?) Thanx!!

Travis is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    OP again. One other thought: I'm dealing with a single form that incorporates fields from two tables. Does the solution I'm looking for involve ditching the single form and creating a main form with a sub form?? Thanks again!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That's what I suspected. Many reasons why a query might be read only:
    http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

Typically one form per domain (query or table), subforms to relate them. With a multiple table query, can be tricky to ensure that child records have parents even if joins are not an issue. Such a form can, in practice, allow a user to populate (e.g.) purchase order line items without PO header details.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Travis is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Micron: Thank you for a quick response. But what you said makes sense. My mind is mush at the moment, but tomorrow when I sit down again I'll get to working on splitting that form into Main and sub-forms.

The project I'm working on will ultimately be useful to me, but also retired in this past year and working with Access just to keep my mind sharp!! 😁

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    I suspected the same...hence my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post

...Typically one form per domain (query or table)...
    Note that when Micron uses Query, here, I'm sure he means single-table Queries.

Many developers prefer basing Forms on single-table Queries because it adds an additional layer/more protection between the user and the Table...and because many developers prefer doing data manipulation/calculations in a Query, rather than in Forms. It puts all such operations in one screen, making it easier to scan through, rather than schlepping through pages of codes.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm sure he means single-table Queries.
    Yes, that is what I meant by "one form per domain". I can see now how that could also be interpreted as a query using multiple tables is still one domain, but that's not what I had in mind.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.