Duncan Pucher is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Database won't allow to save file as executable (ACCDE). "Microsoft was unable to create .accde..."

I tried to save a split database as an ACCDE file but got an error message "Microsoft was unable to create .accde...". I tried holding down the shift key to bypass the opening form but this didn't solve the problem. Attached is the database. Can anyone help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    Perhaps you just need to "compile" it first. "compile" is available from the "Debug" menu when writing code.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Bob,

That's all it took. I had some VBA code that I had tested and not finished and I needed to clean it up. Thanks for the tip!

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    also make sure all modules have Option Explicit just below Option Compare Database - that will also highlight errors when you compile that might not otherwise be picked up until you run the code. You can set this as the default for new modules by going in the VBA editor to Tools>Options and ticking the require variable declaration option.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I encountered an odd problem with making an executable file and would like help. In this thread there are the BE and FE of a split DB. I edit the DB at home and send to my work via email. I took the DB to my work and it won't allow me to Save As an ACCDE file although I am able at home to Save As a ACCDE file. I think it thinks something like a form is open but I don't have anything open. At home I get several options after I select Save As but at work when I select Save As it goes to Windows explorer and asks what name I would like to give the copy. Any thoughts about what could be happening?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    do you have option explicit at the top of each module as previously advised?
    have you tried to compile at work?
    is both work and home the same bitness for access?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Any thoughts about what could be happening?
    I would expect that when you open the emailed version you are not seeing the message bar at the top of the db window that says the db is protected and read only. This happens because it came from somewhere else as a download. I'm not surprised that you cannot open an emailed db with your version of Windows and Access.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    User Group,

I found out the version of Access at home (2019) is not the same as at work (2007). At home I could select "Save As" and select "ACCDE" but not at work. At work I have to select "Save and Publish". I feel really stupid. Thank for your help.

rkeesecker is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    I also was not able to "save as" my accdb database to accde. I'm no coder or Access expert, so understanding the solutions offered on the Web flummoxed me. I saw a comment about the opening form. Several folks said change the database to not open any form when loaded. That didn't help. Another said to open the form set to open when Access loads, open it in Design view, and then do something about the code that I didn't understand. I started poking around.

In Design view, I saw the "View Code" link under Tools and clicked that. The VBA code window that opened was for a different form, a related one, which had an issue. I clicked on "Debug" and "Compile Classical" ('Classical' being the database name). Error message appeared - "Compile error: Only comments may appear after End Sub, End Function, or End Property." After the second Private Sub/End Sub, there were three lines of Filter code. Of course I didn't know what that code did, but apparently it shouldn't be there. I deleted that code, clicked out of the VBA window. Problem solved. I could now save the database as accde. And, there was no deleterious effect on the functioning of the accdb database.

My take is that opening the main opening form that loads when the database opens (or perhaps any form, I don't know) in Design view and clicking on View Code will produce a VBA window of code for a related problematic form. Then clicking on Debug and Compile will result in Microsoft telling you the error. Coders will laugh at all that I've said here. But I'm no expert and managed to poke around just enough to get it solved. My next learning effort will be about compiling and code errors.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.