Jonaripp is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

How can I keep some fields together (without page break) while allowing other fields to break?

On a report, how canI keep some data fields together (without breaking across a page) whileallowing other data in the same record to flow across pages?

I have twenty-two fields per record to print on a report.

The first 18 fields fit within a block that takes up 8-10 lines of the printed page, with more than one field per line. Some of these fields expand into two lines as needed.

The last four fields contain (a) longer text items often consisting of several paragraphs, or (b) pictures of various sizes.

My challenge is this:

I do not want page breaks on the reports to occur within the first 18 fields. I want those details, roughly 8-10 lines on the printed page, to "keep together".

I DO want page breaks within the last four fields.

The standard page break option is on the Section called "Details", which I have set to "keep together" = no. The report is printing nicely except the odd page breaks within the first 8-10 lines of each record.

I am a relative novice to Access but did some elementary programming in other database software programs years ago.

I looked at the subreport or subform options, but I am not really looking for summarizing capabilities. That doesn't seem like the answer.

In some other programs I could put the first 18 fields together, grouped or contained in a box, and then specify that box as "keep together" = yes. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that within the report design features.

Thank you in advance.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I suggest you tell us a little about the database to provide context. And show us sample of your table/records and an example of
    of the report format you want. Har to visualize your setup without some data.

Jonaripp is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    I suggest you tell us a little about the database to provide context. And show us sample of your table/records and an example of
    of the report format you want. Har to visualize your setup without some data.
    I constructed a visual in a pdf file which shows how the data is set up to show in a report, for each record. The database is a genealogy, about 3,000 records, which extend into about 5-600 printed pages, with two columns per page. The first 18-19 fields contain data of relatively short length which I would prefer not to be split up by page breaks. The last 2-3 fields have often data of much greater length or size which need to accept page breaks as needed.

The only option I have found is a property of "Details" applying to all fields in a record, to "keep together - yes", not allowing a page break, OR, "keep together = no", which means a page break will happen between any fields as needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.