djclinton15 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Smile Any other options can be suggested for opening the Zoom Window

Hi. I maybe shouldn’t start out this way, but I believe posting this thread will be useless. Please, I mean no disrespect to anyone here! I’ve been searching out if there is any other way, I can open the zoom window in Access. I’m well aware of how to open the zoom window in Access by, Shift+F2, but what if you don’t have the access/ the ability to utilize any of your F-keys? If I may explain. First, I’m physically disabled/quadriplegic, I type with a head stick/pointer. Thereby, I can only press one key at a time. Just recently I had to get a new (Dell) laptop computer, which does have the F1 to F12 keys, but I order to activate then you also have to hold down the ‘fn’ key. Those who may have a Dell laptop computer may understand what I’m describing as this, “fn” key. Now if anyone is wondering how might I use the modifier keys such as Alt, Ctrl, Shift, & the Windows Logo key. Under ‘Ease of Access’ in Settings Windows has what is called, Sticky Keys. Sticky Keys allow you to press one key & hold it down while pressing another key. Except, Sticky Keys doesn’t apply to this “fn” key. Like on my old Dell laptop computer I could use my F-keys & could use F-keys & in fact could open the zoom window by pressing Shift+F2. To be fair & honest here, I do have the option of choosing the F-keys to function as the F-keys or as the multimedia function key. On my previous Dell laptop, I had those keys set as F-keys by default. When I got this new Dell laptop by default the F-keys were set to be used as the multimedia keys, which I really like & have be accustomed to using. You might say I’m a bit slow because it took me a few weeks to figure out what happened to my F-keys.

Actually, I did contact Dell (Dell Community) regarding this issue looking for suggestions. Someone had suggested using AutoHotKeys & even started helping me map out a script using a combination of keys, to toggle the “fn” key, which I just couldn’t get to work for me. I feel creating/mapping out AutoHotKeys can be very tricky because you may create an AutoHotKey to carry out a certain command for one thing. Yet those same key combination that may conflict with some other shortcut key used in another app you often use.

Bottom line, I searched through all of the Access commands (& it’s a lengthy list), yet Access seems to have no command for opening the zoom window other than, Shift+F2. I’ll have this new Dell laptop now for nearly 3-months & have been wanting to post this issue even though part of me feels a little silly. I actually work with several databases I use which contains a field of keeping notes & miss having the option using the zoom window. After all of my rambling, to reiterate my query, is Shift+F2 is the only way to open the zoom window?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    You can open it using VBA - DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdZoomBox

I'm not sure if you could apply that if you are editing data directly in a table, but certainly could assign it to the double click event of a form control?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can't imagine why you'd think that posting your thread would be useless. Even if no one has an answer, your post should serve to remind all that there are people out there who might seem to be asking for something trivial but are doing so because of limitations. Perhaps we who don't have such limitations need to be reminded of them.

Anyway, you didn't say if you're in a query or table datasheet when you want this. I presume this is about forms since you might already know that users shouldn't be poking around in tables. You could use the keydown and trap for whichever key you want (including single F key press). Probably could do something where it only zooms if you hold that key down for x seconds. If you need someone to help you with this, you can pm me and we'll work something out - no charge.

EDIT - I may have to back track on some of that. Certain F keys will likely invoke things such as altering screen brightness, but I suspect some sort of combination could be worked out. Since you're familiar with sticky keys (and I've never used that) maybe state if you can get key+key to stick; e.g. ctrl and then alt where both stick. Some sort of key assignment might be an option too.
    Last edited by Micron; 11-19-2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Following on from Minty's suggestion, you could have a button to do it for you.
    Code:
    '************ Start of Code *****************
    'Code courtesy of Terry Kreft
    Sub cmdZoom_Click() Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus RunCommand
    acCmdZoomBox
    End Sub '************** End of Code *****************
    Also apparently on Dell laptops there is a function key lock button. Unfortunately that also requires a combination press, but perhaps someone can do this for you, once only?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccqx-mH8SzM

Last edited by Welshgasman; 11-20-2020 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Added Youtube link

I cannot get to grips with this site and links.

Also there appears to be a way to switch the Fn function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUATHawyjTQ

Also the On Screen Keyboard would do the job for you as well.?

Type in OSK to open it. Then the keys there become sticky, so you can press each in turn, no need for a combination?

HTH

djclinton15 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Guys, I want to thank you all for your suggestion & for the time you spent on my post. Yes, the easiest & simplest solution would be for me to switch over from my multimedia function keys to the F-keys. Because I like & are accustomed to the multimedia function keys I'm choosing to sacrifice not have keyboard access to the F-keys. However, as Welshgasman (& possible a few other members) the On-Screen keyboard will hold down the 'fn' key which gives me use o the F-keys. I've come to the conclusion that On-Screen Keyboard is the best way for me to open the zoom window & if I need to utilize any of the other F-keys.

Welshgasman, thank for your suggested code, but I have no clue what it means. Unfortunately, I clearly do not understand the concepts of coding, SQL, etc. I was working with one member here trying to figure out some key combinations to active some of my F-keys, but then that can be tricky because I could eliminate some short cut key I use in Access or some other app. So, I'm not pursuing that angle any further.

Again, I cannot thank everyone enough! Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by djclinton15 View Post
    Welshgasman, thank for your suggested code, but I have no clue what it means. Unfortunately, I clearly do not understand the concepts of coding, SQL, etc.
    My thoughts for that code snippet was to have a button on each form. Clicking it would Zoom the previous control?, so you would select a control then click the button. Pretty much the same number of clicks as the osk. However I was under the impression you were creating forms etc?

I must say your posts are very verbose considering your situation? If that was me, I'd be quite terse in my posts.

Good luck with it anyway.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Something that came to mind the other day. I know a guy who had some sort of physical issue as well and he used speech to do his keyboarding. I have no idea on how any of it functioned so maybe it's not an option either. The button idea has merit. How to do it would depend on how many controls on a form (and how many forms) might require a zoom box. If only one control, quite simple. If many, I think a module level sub that ID's the last control that got the focus and store that in a public variable. The button sets focus back to that control and opens the zoom. Not too hard I would think. @djclinton15 - those other people you mentioned might appreciate that?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I do not know if multimedia keys are standard, but I also just thought of this.?

I also use a laptop, but mine sits on a folding table and I use a Logiitech Wireless keyboard and mouse via USB to use it.?

That has separate multimedia keys as you can see.
    This does not solve the dual key problem, but might make your life a little easier when needing a function key for other purposes? Very good Keyboard as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=logitec...linkCode%3Dg12

HTH

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.