hinchi1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Collating of data

I have this DB, small part attached. Vlad a member on this forum superbly helped me with a problem the other week with the DB. One issue i have always had but never really managed to solve was that when i want to print the full or partially selected records, Access is slow to display the records on screen in any of the following formats, Excel, Word and PDF. Once displayed printing is not the issue, that is fine. It is just the initial collation of the data. Apologies in advance for some of the code, it does have rough edges, so any suggestions, refinements welcome. Would it be possible to have a look and see what i am missing to speed the process up. On the full DB, the collation takes up to 10 minutes and on occasion crashes the DB. It is a split DB with BE on a shared folder, but you will see the DB attached still has issues collating the data. I suspect it may be the Query, but i have run out of ideas.putonline_vlad2.zip

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    How does one replicate the problem?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    How does one replicate the problem?
    The dB loads with default form. Click on report button top left of form. Print form opens. The listbox is multiselect. The default print output is pdf. If you click the print button it will collate all of the records, eventually. You then have the option to save the report and/ or print the report. If you select individual records or filter the list, you have to click the "Select All" button. This will highlight your selected records, then click on print. Only those selected records are collated for viewing, storing or printing. I know the code is a little rough around the edges and a little quirky. I still have some work to do with the sequences so it is not so confusing to the end user. Hope this helps. If not just get back to me.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hi, on the one I've sent you you needed to show the research groups associated with one room at the time (on a form). I see you changed the design and you are using different code now in your qryConCat. Then you do an eLookup on the concatenated field for (potentially) all rooms in a report. This will be extremely slow and resource intensive. I recommend you redesign your report to simply replace the text box for the research group with a subreport, please see attached.

Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Hi Vlad
    Thanks for this. I was struggling to be honest to display the research groups in my report and what you see was all I could find. I will look at you suggestion later. To be honest before this change the printing function has always been slow, so your suggestion will take this issue away. Thanks again.

Hi Vlad
    Thanks for this. Works a treat and so simple. I can see I have still a lot to learn. Brilliant

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Hey, glad to help! Good luck with your project and stay safe!

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.