Toaster is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Table wont update for my form

Hello! I am making a database in access for a company. The database has many tables, including a table called order items and pay vendors. I would like to use forms to update my tables. I have one purchasing form already that works. from this form I can update my orders. I can select what items I am buying, which manager is buying them, and where they are being bought from. I would like to have a payment form, where I can update payments to vendors from. This form is not working, and will not update my table. I have a set of bank accounts listen in the database, and I have a combo box for these accounts, so I can choose which account is used. Whenever I try to click on the combo box, I get an error that says "You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in 'tbl Cash'". This is a different table which holds the bank accounts in the database. I have been trying to resolve this issue for hours, if anybody could please try to help me out I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Toaster is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Would creating a linking table help at all?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I recommend you create a narrative in simple terms about your proposed database and application. You don't start building a database by identifying Forms. Now, that may very well be your initial user interface, but that is not the database. It is not as easy as many think to clearly describe WHAT your business is/will be. Consider the "things" involved(entities), the particular characteristics of each(attributes) that are important for your business and how these things relate to one another (relationships). After you have the narrative, you can use pencil and paper (or whiteboard or cardboard or ...) to develop and refine a data model. Create some test data and vet your model.

See the tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary in the Database Planning and Design link in my signature.
    Work through a tutorial (or 2) to experience the process of creating a model and identifying tables and relationships. What you learn can be used with any database.
    Good luck.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    From what little you have presented, it sounds like your design is not normalized. Maybe you would post your dB for analysis? At this point, the dB doesn't need data just the tables and the form.

And welcome to the forum...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.