darkdemon is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Grid Lines

Hi again folks. I have a new problem for me, probably old for some others. Anyway I want to make grid lines on a report, when the fields are empty or null but only in the details section of the report. So if the form was completely empty it would show the headers/footers data and everything in between would look like a bunch of boxes. My report has 7 fields, all data is horizontal since all the data entry is based on a government form. Below that I need all the empty space to be filled with the boxes as I mentioned like a spreadsheet from excel.

Thank you in advance.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    look at using the vba line method for reports

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...ss.Report.Line

Access is not a version of excel so as far as blank rows are concerned, this is not possible without records. You would need to create a number of blank records to achieve this. The records themselves can be populated, you just don't display any of the values. So your form recordsource might be something like

SELECT TOP 10 "" as Blank FROM msysObjects

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    That line thing looks complicated!

Not sure why you wouldn't just create a Word or Excel document and call that up if you're working in a db at the time you need it. I have no idea what's in your report header and footer so maybe some of these suggestions won't work.

I suppose you could also use an unbound object frame but I've never tried to put on on a report to show another file.

If you're stuck on using only Access and all you want is some kind of paper form, perhaps create a table with the field count & names you need, allow zls (zero length string) in each field. Then run an append query and fill the fields with "" and base your report on the table. If you need 7 rows in your report, run the query 7 times. Your report controls should show but be blank. That's untested by me.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.