CJC1867 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Creating A New Database

Hi

I would like to create a new database based on a Burial Register.

I did a Joint Honours Degree in Mathematics and Information Systems (Computer Networking, VB, HTML and Databases) way back in 1997 to 2000. I graduated from University with BSc (Honours). Well that was a long time ago and Access was not like it is today. I just need a bit of help with the tables and relationships.

Burial Register 1813 - 1970
    THe burial register has the name, address, date buried, age, reverend name who buried the person as seen on the attachment. The burial register starts at 1 and goes upto 282 on 36 pages so I would like to record the Register Number and the page in the register it is on.

Burial Register 1784 - 1812
    I have only added a few to the website as they were from the same family and in the same family grave.

Map
    The map of the graveyard is on a separate piece of paper, it just shows the layout of the graves in the graveyard. The map was created back in 1986 so any graves that are new after 1986 do not exist. Also, only the graves that were added were visible. The grave numbers on the map goes from 1 to 101.

Graves
    Like in any graveyards, a grave can contain either 1 person or a number of people. At this graveyard a grave can have between 1 upto 3 people at the most. So Grave Number will be used again and some of the addresses were they use to live.

Website
    All graves from numbers 1 up to 101 have been added, the names of the people who were bureid have been added to their grave. The problem is that everyone in the graves on the map have been added but I still have burials without a grave number. This is probably because in 1986 their graves were either not visible or the person couldn't afford a headstone. We do have a grave with no headstone but the grand daughter knew where it was as new used to visit the grave with her mother.

So I have a problem, with giving them a grave number, for now I have just gave them a Grave number of 0. At the moment I have 10 unkonwn graves without headstones, all with grave number of 0. The other burial register 1784 - 1812 is in a different format and like I said only a few have been added so I am back with adding a grave number as all known graves are catered for.

But if they aren't on a map there will be no chance of finding whether their graves have simply fallen over and are now covered in grass.

Hopefully, I have covered what I wanted and would like help with the table design and relationships shown in the attachments.

Thanks

Colin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails burial-register.png   Database-Relationships-3.png  

CJC1867 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi
    Just having a try with making a form to input all the data and my first problem is adding the burial date using a Date/Time field using a calendar in the form, as I can't select the Year or Month without scrolling through them. I need to add the Year from 1813 to 1970. A calendar will take ages.

Any suggestions please?

Colin

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    A calendar will take ages.
    This is about a textbox bound to a date field and you get the calendar icon when you click in it? You can simply type in a date - you don't need to use the built in calendar. You can disable it if that helps.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Simply leave grave id in Deceased table empty (Null) for burials with burial site not determined. Of-course this means, that Null values for field Deceased.GraveID are allowed.

In queries, when you have in WHERE clause ... GraveID Is Not Null ... , you get the result where only burials with identified graves are included;
    In queries, when you have in WHERE clause ... GraveID Is Null ... , you get the result where only burials with unidentified graves are included;
    In queries, when you don't have neither of upper in WHERE clause, you get the result where burials with both inentified and unidentified graves are included;
    Queries for info about deceaded persons will be something like
    Code:
    SELECT dc.FirstName, ..., Iif(Nz(GraveID,0)=0,"unidentified",CStr(gn.GraveNumber)) As GraveNumber, ...
    FROM (Deceased dc LEFT JOIN GraveNumbers gn ON gn.GraveID = dc.GraveID) ...
    In case you get some of those 10 unidentified graves identified somehow, you can simply add a new grave (e.g. GraveNumber = 103), and update the info for persons buried there. In case you want to differ between original graves and added later ones, have an additional field for this in table GraveNumbers.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.