RKS is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Access crashes, when clicked on 'Font' button on a 'Zoom Box'

Access crashes, when clicked on 'Font' button on a 'Zoom Box', invoked by using {SHIFT}+{F2}, Version details -
    Microsoft 365 MSO, Version 2010, 16.0.13328.20292 32 Bit Click to run, Installed on Windows 64 Bits latest updated, i7 CPU Machine.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    stop doing that. set font w the font button NOT in zoom.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS View Post
    Access crashes, when clicked on 'Font' button on a 'Zoom Box', invoked by using {SHIFT}+{F2}, Version details -
    Microsoft 365 MSO, Version 2010, 16.0.13328.20292 32 Bit Click to run, Installed on Windows 64 Bits latest updated, i7 CPU Machine.
    I have exactly the same version & it doesn't crash for me (just tested!)
    If it keeps happening, try an Office repair

@Ranman
    That really wasn't a very helpful response to the OP
    The font button in the zoom box is there for a perfectly good reason. It allows users to set a larger/smaller font than the default in order to improve legibility.
    It has no effect on the font size / name in the form itself
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

RKS is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for the reply, I have already tried both types of Office Repair, Roll back, stopped updates, updates allowed again and updated to the latest Office and windows, none helped.
    One important thing I forget to mention, after latest updates, Office started to malfunction in queries where DLookup was used or any other type of filters were used, I discussed it in Access Forums, and got a suggestion to use CPU Affinity options, by reducing the number of CPU (Logical), the problem vanished but Access started running on a little slower speed, but it worked, with a problem, I had mentioned here.

Hmm. Does this only happen with one Access database ...or with all?

Other things to try:
    Check if there are any missing references in the VBA project.
    Does your project compile? If not, fix any compile errors.
    Run a backup then DECOMPILE your project to remove any possible corruption in compile code. Afterwards recompile and compact
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

RKS is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for all the support, here is what i found while experimenting, I created a new blank database, created a table, filled a text "Testing" in first field, tried Zoom Box again, clicked Font Button again, It Worked, Increased the Font size, reopened my Old Database, found Zoom box with increased size readable Font, Problem solved. Although not a perfect remedy, the file has some problem after updates, If all CPUs used in Affinity, Access shows "System Resource Exceeded" message. presently I am using my database with a tricked solution by allowing only 2 CPUs in Affinity.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    What you are describing sounds very "random" especially the CPU problem. I have 365 and a couple of i7 devices and have never had an issue similar to your description.

In fact if a office repair didn't work, what about a complete removal and re-install of Office?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

You may need to follow Minty's suggestion but in the meantime, I'd try some other things first:

1. It wasn't clear from your last answer whether you tried any of the suggestions I made in post #5.
    2. The System Resource exceeded message may be due to a number of factors
    a) Try increasing the MaxLocksPerFile setting from the default 9500 to e.g. 15000 by editing the registry or using VBA. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...count-exceeded
    b) You may have a large number of objects open at once. If so, these are all using up available connections and eventually your app will slow to a crawl or crash with that message
    Try using my Available Connections app to see if that can help
    c) Another registry setting that may help is MaxBufferSize - see e.g. http://casadebender.com/reference/ot...ers/ba13_2.htm

I've heard about the CPU Affinity workround but due to methods like those above, I've never had to use that approach

Good luck

RKS is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    What you are describing sounds very "random" especially the CPU problem. I have 365 and a couple of i7 devices and have never had an issue similar to your description.

In fact if a office repair didn't work, what about a complete removal and re-install of Office?
    Thanks for the reply, I had tried, repair, removal, reinstall, roll back, of office and Fresh install of windows,
    none helped, everything was working fine before three updates - 1. Dell system, Windows, Office. (Roll back of windows did not helped, tried recovery also)

RKS is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for your reply,
    1. I tried every possible way to get it done, suggested by you and other friends on various forums, Thanks again,
    2. System Resource Exceeded message, primarily generated by any wrong argument (priory working, but resulting to an error due to changes in registry or address of argued etc.), memory, etc.
    3. MaxLocksPerFile - Already using it at 20 Lakhs, working fine before updates,
    4. Large number of objects opened and were working fine before updates,
    5. MaxBufferSize - Had tried it once after problems, but it did not solved problem, tried to break the backend into various files, but failed to link Relationships in new combined Backend between Links from various sources.
    6. Now it is working with very poor efficiency (Affinity method), little slow, like in my older machines, but working.

Thanks again to all of friends

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I haven't seen it in your reply, but have you tried importing all your database objects into a new empty database?
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

RKS is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I had done this also on the very first few attempts, before knowing about this forum, but all of yours guidance had reflected the fact that each one of you tried to help this out, it reflects the intention to help others, that is why I had also posted the solutions I got from various forums and through my own experimenting, I must mention here that we have not reached to a proper solution, It is just that we have managed to keep it going, The Microsoft people are working on this problem, as mentioned them in some thread, I am sure It has to do something with the updates, the real problem is with registry entries and default values, like you have mentioned to check the MaxBufferSize, I am really sorry to not have clicked the Star Icon, as I did not knew about it, Hence I thank again to all of you for your initiative to help others on this platform, Regards

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You are welcome - and although the star is nice, it's certainly not essential!
    I wonder if you upgraded to the 64 bit version if the problem might vanish?

Good luck with your continued attempts to fix this.
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

RKS is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks, Last year I tried to upgrade my Office file (Access) to 64 Bits type, but it failed to run all codes (Modules, VBA etc) and needed to rewrite all modules for 64 Bit version (I tried re compile option also), I was forced to use 32 Bit, mine is a macro driven file (Mostly), but I am using some modules also (To communicate from Access), It is nearly impossible to stop and convert the codes to some other type, So I am using it as it is, Regards

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Unless you are using lots of Active X controls, and you say it's mainly macro based, conversion should be very straight forward.

99% of code will work on either, it is only normally handles into API calls that need a small amount of modification.
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.