skoz55 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Estimating Database

Hi,
    I am a contractor and looking to create an estimating database and am looking into Access. My goals are:

1. Have a form that is broken into 8 categories (general conditions, excavation, concrete, framing, etc.) Within each category, I populate a description and unit cost which is from a table I can create storing these items.
    2. Once I have all my line items, then go back in and enter the actual units
    3. I then can print a detail report showing all the descriptions with units, which would be my Scope of Work
    4. Then a second report that shows the summary costs by just the main categories

Before I start diving into the learning process, is this something I can do in Access?

Currently, I do this in Excel; however, I have issues with a tieing in a general database, links breaking, I can't lock the worksheet but also expand and contract, etc.

Thanks

PS Whether Access can do this or not, are there any suggestions to a database that I could create this the easiest (I understand that Access is more advanced than I need)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scope of Work.png   Summary Budget.png  

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, Access can do this. Have you searched web on topic "Access construction estimation database"? The are plenty of commercial products.

Look at some of the suggested threads at bottom of this one.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi Can you upload a copy of the original Excel sheet without any Confidential data?
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

skoz55 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Absolutely.

Attached. I have this saved as a template and I create a new estimate file with every client. I then delete whatever line items are not needed and add anything not in there. Every time I create a new estimate, I wind up adding/changing some of the verbiage, colors, formula, etc. So that estimate then becomes the new template.

I start with writing out the Scope of Work for the entire project. Any item that is added, removed, or changed from the last proposal given to the client is italicized in red. At the following one, it's then deleted or back in black. I then go through and input quantities. I then have a separate spreadsheet that has all of my costs that my subcontractors give me (I only subcontract out so have no need for a RSMeans database or any of those items). I input all the cost data into the line items. I write the SOW first to ensure I have a cost for every item. Of course, some lines may not have an associated cost.

I have a 15% variance applied, so the if the actual cost is $100, then the Low Range shows 85.00 and the High Range shows 115.00. This is because at this point, I have not sent the drawings out for bids yet, so I'm simply estimating my subcontractors costs. On the right of the SOW section, you'll see where all the numbers take place with totals at the bottom. This are gets collapses when I print the report.

On the very bottom, I then have a summary of the categories and cost, along with the details of costs. I then print out all of columns A -Z. The calculations that are collapsed are not shown. I like to be "somewhat" transparent with the pricing, which always provides comfort for the client.

My ideal situation is the create a database the can store all of my cost data and my language for the Scope of work. I then create the estimate using that data and then print a report that at least shows the same information as mine.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I appears that I can only attach videos and images here (odd) so I've placed the file in a shared dropbox folder, which can be accessed:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hq8c95sie...O9Gy5vgea?dl=0

skoz55 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Sample Estimate Attached

Sample Estimate.zip

Disregard the Dropbox link, I figured out how to attach the file here.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.