kruzeman is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

MS Acces: Hidden tables still exportable in excel

I have a MS Acces database containing login information to the database file in a created table called "USys1Empoyees".

Off course it is set as hidden in table properties.

However, when I approach the data through excel by GET DATA > From ms acces database file

This table is exportable including the login's and passwords...

I've hidden most of the tables which work fine. But there are 3 tables I am unable to restrict and still show up in the GET DATA function in Excel.
    Is there anyway to actually hide them? What am I missing?

Thanks so much!

Only difference between the tables that I could hide and not hide from GET DATA. Is that the tables that I am unable to hide. Where created tables within MSAcces and are not linked tables to the SQL server.
    Last edited by kruzeman; 10-22-2020 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Additional information

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    First of all, you should ALWAYS encrypt any passwords stored in an Access database. Just using an input mask is inadequate as that can easily be removed.

As you've found out, hiding a table in the navigation pane does not prevent it being imported into another application.
    It is possible to 'deep hide' tables so these cannot be made visible in the navigation pane.
    This also means the tables will therefore not appear in a list of tables available to import/link in another application.

However you need to know how to make them accessible again for your own purposes!

Have a look at the attached example & you should be able to understand what I mean

Do bear in mind that even that will not be 100% secure from someone who knows how to access deep hidden tables ...but its a lot more secure than you have now
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.