jalewis999 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

How to get a bound field (auto) index in a modify form to allow entry.

Hi. I have a table with an auto increment field. I have created data entry forms no problem. I am now creating a form to modify the other fields in the table. The table field (auto) has no limiting factors. I create a form using the wizard. No changes at all. The index field (auto) will not allow any entry. It sits on 1 showing the correct data in the other fields. The record controls down below change the record ok but I can not type in the field. This is essential. I tried throwing together a simple form manually, same result. This field in a text box is bound to the field.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Cannot do entry/edit of autonumber data type. Why would you want to?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jalewis999 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I don't want edit it, I want to use it to enter the record to edit.

June7 is online now VIP
    You want to find an existing record? Apply filter criteria or navigate to record. Can use intrinsic filter tools on ribbon or more complex but user-friendly setups that involve code (macro or VBA). Controls used to input filter criteria must be UNBOUND. Review http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sounds like it might be a split or main form/subform design
    The record controls down below change the record ok

your recordset may be locked or uneditable. Is the form bound to a table or query? If query is the query editable if you open it?
    but I can not type in the field

Don't create a form to create records then another one to edit the same records. Use the same form for both purposes.
    I have created data entry forms no problem. I am now creating a form to modify the other fields in the table.
    If you can post a zipped copy of the db it will answer a whole lot of questions.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I don't want edit it, I want to use it to enter the record to edit.
    Sounds like you are you using this to select a record? if so, the control should be unbound (controlsource is blank) and you would have a bit of code in the after update event or a button click event to use the entry to select the appropriate record.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.