Deeber2 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Controls on Horizontal Navigation Control on Navigation Form

Good afternoon.

I've searched everywhere and I can't find any references to anyone doing this.

I have a navigation form with horizontal and vertical tabs. I have place a combobox on the horizontal tab and it works great! Only one issue.....it disappears whenever I activate a subform.

It re-appears if you click anywhere on the subform, and that has me confused. I haven't been able to ascertain how to control it so it remains visible. Like I said, it disappears after you make a selection, but it will re-appear once you click on the form. It will also stay visible....until you use it again.

Has anyone done or experienced this before? If so, any remedy (other than removing the combobox )?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Purpose of Navigation Form is to dynamically display subforms. Only one subform at a time is loaded. I have never encountered anyone trying to place other controls on a Navigation Form tab.

I have never used Navigation Form, only navigation tab control.

What is purpose of combobox? Why not place it on main form outside Navigation Tabs?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    This is a project management application. The combobox contains all of the current projects to select from. Once selected, the entire application is centered around that project (all subforms relate back to it). I could have placed a combobox on every form, but that is a waste of space and completely redundant.

Like I said, it works great...except for that disappearing trick it does.

June7 is offline VIP
    Again, why place combobox on tab and not directly on main form?

I am experimenting and not really even understanding what you mean by "place a combobox on the horizontal tab". What I have done shows combobox regardless of which subform is active. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    So when you are on a subform, how do you change the project? You have to navigate back to the main form. By placing the combobox on the tab control, you now have access to it without having to navigate to another form.

I'm at work right now. When I get back to the house I will upload a screenshot to give you a better idea.

June7 is offline VIP
    Are you using a Tab control or a Navigation Form? They are two very different things.

I really don't understand what you are describing about navigating 'back' to main form. The idea of a Navigation Form or Tab control is not having to open other forms independently, all are viewable on one form.

I would most likely use a form/subform arrangement with subforms on pages of a Tab control. Unbound combobox on main form to select project and subforms relate to main form record with key links.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Man! Trying to add an attachment is like pulling my own teeth!

Each page shows the combobox at the top (on the Navigation Control) so that the project can be changed regardless of where they are at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project_Summary.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	43272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project_Tab.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	43273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phase-Milestone_Tab.PNG 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	43274

June7 is offline VIP
    Looks like a Navigation Form. I have not been able to get combobox to sit next to tabs. It always positions just above or below tabs within the Navigation layout group. Combobox can just as easily be on the main form outside the layout group. Either way, combobox always shows, never disappears. However, my test setup does not show multiple subforms on one tab. I have never designed an app using Navigation Form. So again, if you want to provide db for analysis...

Windows 10 Office 365
    I see where you went with the tab control....I made the mistake of mocking up a POC for the client using the navigation form. They really liked it and had me run with it. Once they saw the combobox on every form, they expressed their misgivings and asked me to move it to where it is at.

You have to be VERY careful when putting that combobox there! I had to place it below and use the fine movement control (CTRL + ARROW) to get it to where it is at. I kinda like it there, but it sure as heck likes to hide itself after use.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Just a shot in the dark. The combo might be covered by the navigation control under certain conditions, so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dark.png 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	43275

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay, Ctrl+arrow (I was not using Ctrl) did it. Yes, combo sometimes 'disappears' when clicking on empty space after last tab. It is somehow hidden by Navigation group until a tab or anywhere on subform is clicked. Bringing combo to front makes no difference.
    Last edited by June7; 10-22-2020 at 11:27 AM.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Solved the issue!

davegri thanks for jogging my brain! June7 thanks for pushing me!

In the AfterUpdate event of the combobox I put: [Forms]![frmNavigate]![NavigationSubform].SetFocus

The issue is as you both hinted at. Using Application.CurrentObjectName allowed me to determine that the main form, frmNavigate, was in focus. Once I forced the focus back onto the subform, the combobox now stays visible.

Again, thank you both for the help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.