TINMAN is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Field Description listed in Table is not showing in ribbon at page bottom on Form created by Query

I have created a query which uses fields from a table tblVehiWcleInformation. When I go to the fields in the query the field description in the table shows just fine.

However, I have created a Form which uses the fields from the query. The field description does not show at the ribbon at the bottom of the page when I put the cursor in this field on the Form. I added the field description to the table after I created the form.

It appears that Access doesn't update field description information to forms if the field description in the table is created or updated after the original form was created. I would like to avoid recreating my forms is their anything I am doing wrong with the settings for my query or form.

I tried adding the field description to the Control Tips Text property box and was not successful for one of the text boxes in question.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've read it a few times and can't understand your post. Basing a query on table fields and a form on those fields is normal, so I'm not sure if your statements are supposed to infer something else.
    When I go to the fields in the query the field description in the table shows just fine
    This means your "field description text" is data? Last but not least, I've never seen the ribbon below a form - didn't think you could do that, so you must be referring to something else. Perhaps the status bar?
    Access doesn't update field description information to forms if the field description in the table is created or updated after the original form was created.
    If this is data, it's totally untrue, unless you go to a table and directly enter data in it while said form is still open. In that case you'd need to refresh the form, so again, that's confusing.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I've read it a few times and can't understand your post. Basing a query on table fields and a form on those fields is normal, so I'm not sure if your statements are supposed to infer something else. This means your "field description text" is data? Last but not least, I've never seen the ribbon below a form - didn't think you could do that, so you must be referring to something else. Perhaps the status bar?
    If this is data, it's totally untrue, unless you go to a table and directly enter data in it while said form is still open. In that case you'd need to refresh the form, so again, that's confusing.

Listed below is a link to my database. I am also attaching a PDF file which indicates what I was trying to describe. I can use the Form Wizard to achieve the results I desire but I can't understand why I can't get the same results with the Form I created Form-02 Vehicle Information compared to frmVehicleInformation. Note the field description at the bottom of page 2 of the PDF attached. This is what I want on my form.

https://www35.online-convert.com/dl/...stDatabase.zip
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Tinman

If you go into Design View of the Form - then delete the Control that is not showing the field description - then just add the field again.

That should work.
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Quote Originally Posted by mike60smart View Post
    Hi Tinman

If you go into Design View of the Form - then delete the Control that is not showing the field description - then just add the field again.

That should work.
    I can confirm that does indeed work. I did try just making the control unbound,save and then bound again, but that did not work.

Micron,
    O/P is talking about field description property in the table.
    Form shows any description once initially created on the status bar, but if field description is amended, the amendment is not reflected on the status bar.

I have tended to put descriptions in the table previously, but never realised that they would show on the status bar. Consequently adding them after form creation is not going to have any affect, so best to enter when table initially created.?

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I've read it a few times and can't understand your post. Basing a query on table fields and a form on those fields is normal, so I'm not sure if your statements are supposed to infer something else. This means your "field description text" is data? Last but not least, I've never seen the ribbon below a form - didn't think you could do that, so you must be referring to something else. Perhaps the status bar?

Windows 10 Access 2016

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgasman View Post
    Micron,
    O/P is talking about field description property in the table.
    Form shows any description once initially created on the status bar, but if field description is amended, the amendment is not reflected on the status bar.

I have tended to put descriptions in the table previously, but never realized that they would show on the status bar. Consequently adding them after form creation is not going to have any affect, so best to enter when table initially created.?
    Thank You! Thank You! I didn't know the proper terminology for the status bar. I am really surprised that a change to a field description is not reflected in the status bar. However, as a result of your post and did some more investigation into the differences between the form I created and the form created by the Form Wizard. I found that in the form created by the Form Wizard there is an entry in the properties section called Status Bar Text which shows the field description property in the table. If I put the new or revised table field description in this field on my form text box properties it corrects my problem. This will save me from having to recreate my form.

Bottom line make sure you have your field description correct before starting to create any forms yourself.

One more point I tried entering information into the Control Tip Text and did not get any results. What is the difference between Control Tip Text and Status Bar Text. Wouldn't they seem to conflict with each other?

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Control tip text will appear next to your cursor when you hover the mouse over the control for a few seconds
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank You for your response. I found that I was able to correct the problem by going to the design view for the form and clicking on the text box and going to properties and scrolling down to the field Status Bar Text and enter in the field description from the new or revised table field description. This will save me from recreating my form.

Thanks again for your response.

Hi Tinman

Did you try just replacing the Control that was missing a description?
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

I dare say someone clever could write some code to sync them all, but nice spot.

Quote Originally Posted by TINMAN View Post
    Thank You! Thank You! I didn't know the proper terminology for the status bar. I am really surprised that a change to a field description is not reflected in the status bar. However, as a result of your post and did some more investigation into the differences between the form I created and the form created by the Form Wizard. I found that in the form created by the Form Wizard there is an entry in the properties section called Status Bar Text which shows the field description property in the table. If I put the new or revised table field description in this field on my form text box properties it corrects my problem. This will save me from having to recreate my form.

Bottom line make sure you have your field description correct before starting to create any forms yourself.

One more point I tried entering information into the Control Tip Text and did not get any results. What is the difference between Control Tip Text and Status Bar Text. Wouldn't they seem to conflict with each other?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for your response. You are correct it is the status bar I didn't know the proper terminology.

I was able to correct the problem by going to the text box properties for my text field and entering in the table field description in the Status Bar Text.

A change to the table field description does NOT automatically make a change to the Status Bar Text for a text field on a form that has already been created, as least as far as I have been able to determine.

Your response plus others helped me to determine what I can do to correct this issue.

Thanks for your help and the response from others!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for your response.

I was hovering over the text box and expecting it to appear. However when I hovered over the label it did appear. So the Control Tip Text appears when you hover over the label and the Status Bar Text appears when you are in the text box, now I understand.

Again thanks for your response. This senior citizen still has a lot to learn about Access!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Welshgasman; well, you know me - can't see the forest for the trees.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.