Simba1977 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Advise on creating a chaninging import

Good Morning,

I feel like I am working backwards. My company wants to create access databases to complete reports instead of excel macros. I have been tasked with taking the macros I wrote in excel and transforming them to access.

We are a service based company and want to see open services each week. Each week we run a new report in the state database and export it to excel. I then want to take that report and import it to access, run a few queries to break down services by county, and then export it back to excel. They want this to be a re-occurring process where they utilize the same access database to import the data, however how do I import into the same database and avoid duplicates? Some individuals can be enrolled and active over multiple years. while others only a few weeks. Each record has a unique case number, and it does have a start date column and an end date column. One of my queries filters out closed cases by the "Is Null" filter on the Enrollment end date.

Should I just link the main excel spreadsheet on the import then copy and past the old report over the new report? would that work? If I append the import won't it bring in duplicate records? what is the best import method for this task?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Can you tell us more about:
    -the underlying application, and
    -why you need both Access and Excel?

Excel(spreadsheet) and Access(database) are different animals built upon different object models and generally serve different purposes. You may be addressing a symptom rather than the root issue.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.