MSant14 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Web-based substitute for Access?

Access is not supported by my company and no one in our building of 1,000 people is familiar enough with Access to provide any help with my issue. We utilize an old database that is split into 2, with 20 users going in and out of it every day. I know just enough to make updates to the forms when necessary. The issue we've been having is that since we started working remotely in March, the database has been extremely slow. It takes around 30 seconds to open and close, up to a minute to search for an existing entry, and when inserting small amounts of data into the main form within the database, each entry can take up to 10 seconds to populate and allow the user to move on to the next cell.

We've reached a point where we can no longer continue using it. We've been using it because it allows multiple users to make entries at the same time. Shareable excel files have their issues, and smartsheet has a limit on the number of records that can be entered. This Access database used to have over 20,000 records in it, but in an attempt to speed it up, I had exported the old records and deleted them, but it did not improve speed.

My question is...is anyone familiar with a web-based database program that is most similar to using Access? It has to be free because my company is not approving new requests for funding towards these sort of things due to COVID cuts. I've seen that there are several free databases available, but if anyone can definitively say which ones might be most comparable to Access that would help a lot.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    short answer is no, there is no such thing. Be clear the issue is not around the database (the back end), it is around the front end and how it fetches data.

You might find this link useful regarding access and homeworking.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/working-from-home-with-an-access-database-over-vpn.313634/

most likely your forms need to be modified as they are trying to bring too much data across the internet

edit: your description implies you have just two files - a front end and a back end - and all users are using the same front end. It is vital that each user has their own copy of the front end on their machine.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm with @Ajax, this is a design and set up issue not specifically an Access issue.

I would suggest that possibly moving to a hosted Azure back end for the data and redesigning the forms and queries better to only get the data you need, would help considerably and not need you spend money on a completely new program that will need developing and testing.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    MSant14,

How exactly are you connecting to your database? You dont say in your post.
    I've used TeamViewer for years, even prior to the pandemic. I have it installed on my home computer, office computer and my phone.
    I barely see any difference when I access my office computer from home and use my databases. Granted when using my phone it is often hard to navigate and a little slower but not much.
    Our agency has also installed GoToMyPC on all our office computers. That also allows access to all my Db's flawlessly although I'm not a fan of GTMPC and it seems to go down occasionally.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

MSant14 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    We're currently not using any special program to do so. We are connecting through the VPN. In a meeting I just had this morning it was suggested that we try using a Citrix server. That is something my company has utilized in the past. I'm not sure if that's similar to the TeamViewer you mentioned

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    yes, it is I believe.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSant14 View Post
    We're currently not using any special program to do so. We are connecting through the VPN.
    This means users aren't in same LAN as backend. Where are frontend's? When in user's computers, then there is lot of data moved over net whenever user does anything!
    The solution is to have a Terminal Server in same LAN with backend, and separate frontend for every user in his/her profile on TS or on any available network resource in same LAN. The user connects with LAN through VPN, logs in into TS, and starts his/her frontend from there.
    In case when every user has a desktop computer in LAN, and this is always on, he/she can log in using VPN, and then into his/her desktop. Then TS is not needed.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I just had this morning it was suggested that we try using a Citrix server.
    unless you are already using it, it will have a cost and you said you had zero budget. Citrix is basically terminal server with bells on, which if you read the link I provide explained that is the best solution

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    This Access database used to have over 20,000 records in it, but in an attempt to speed it up, I had exported the old records and deleted them, but it did not improve speed.
    Out of curiosity, do you Compact & Repair the database regularly?
    Deleting records from your database does not actually reduce the database size until your compact it to purge the old records.
    You will want to do this to keep the database running "lean". You probably want to do it something like once a week.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    I know this has been mentioned in a previous post, but I want to stress it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSant14 View Post
    ..... We utilize an old database that is split into 2, with 20 users going in and out of it every day.
    The FE and BE are both Access? Are they pre 2000 (mdb) or 2000 or later (accdb)?

Does every used have a COPY of the FE on their local computer (either at home or at the office)? If not, be prepared.... Your dB will be corrupted - not a matter of IF, just a matter of WHEN. (I hope you have lots of back ups)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.