Cookie is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

The Case of the Missing URL Link in a Thread Reply Error 404

Hello All,

Whether you are a desperate Novice, Advanced Beginner or higher, guidance is frequently sought through the search box on the forum webpage to display relevant threads that may satisfy the inquiry.

Whilst responders have varying skills and good intentions in providing the URL links in responses, as time goes on these links may be the subject of local decisions to be discontinued or changed. Error 404! or "What does this have to do with Bratwurst?". So, what did that link have to offer today. Naught. (well, OK, maybe a nice Bratwurst)

Sometimes, the content referred to is expansive, protected by copyright and so just copying it into the forum has its own legal challenges. Yet, we are reminded that, if the link ceases to work, the response given becomes one of wanting. A good forum is one where, as professionals we try to audit what we've put out to ensure it is still current. A better forum is one where our MVPs, VIPs etc, may be able to advance their talent to update responses even if the originator is no longer able to participate. Why? It is because we continue to search these threads for relevant guidance.

Your thoughts welcome.

Cookie

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Are you saying somebody should continuously review all the links in all posts and update them as appropriate?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    A good forum is one where, as professionals we try to audit what we've put out to ensure it is still current.
    I'd like to know what forum that is supported solely by the altruistic intentions and unpaid contributions of said 'professionals' actually does that. I post here to give back because of the assistance I received without charge, so whatever I contribute that is deemed worthy or helpful in any way has a life like anything else. If it dies because the website I linked to is no longer available, that is unfortunate, but as far as I know, no one is paying me to contribute my content, much less be vigilant if any of the thousands of my posts contain links that are no longer valid. I wouldn't even expect that level of vigilance from a forum that charges for your ability to view solutions. In fact, I know of at least one that charges yet will contain an untold number of posts with now invalid links. The notion is an honourable one, but completely outside the realm of possibility under the current scheme.
    Last edited by Micron; 09-20-2020 at 09:56 AM.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you pBaldy and Micron,

It might be something that can be managed with flagging, perhaps.

Cookie

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Perhaps Cookie could volunteer to take on such a project to improve the URL fidelity of the website.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Maybe vBulletin can add a detection feature for quoted URLs in the replies (as opposed to footer/sign off quotes etc) or maybe it can be done differently such as putting URL in a kind of footnote reference box.

With over 25,000 threads that could be flagged, it might be possible to to have a crawler to test the links for Error 404.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.