jtan is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

check for field in record not empty

I've a form with about 30 fields for user to key in the data, a close form button and a save record button.
    If user key in any one of the fields and click close form button, Access to prompt user whether to save record or not

Instead of using If condition to check Is not null for every field, is there a quick way to check for any field in record is not empty?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You could test if the record is dirty but this won't tell you which field is causing dirty status.

If Me.Dirty Then
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jtan is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks June7 for your prompt reply.

But Me.Dirty does not work
    The 30 fields in the form are unbound fields. User open this form to enter new record. When user open and close form without keying data in any field, clicking the "close form" button will close the form immediately.
    When user key in data in any field, Access will prompt user whether to save record or not.
    Any help, please

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You could use code to loop through each of the forms controls and test each one for a null
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why use unbound form?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Using Unbound Forms really does away with the basic function of Access, which is to facilitate RAD (Rapid Application Development) and should only be attempted by very experienced Access developers, and then only when/if a legitimate purpose requires it, and most situations don’t! You don't need Unbound Forms to do

1. Data Validation
    2. Formatting Data before it's Saved
    3. Deciding whether or not to actually Save a New or Edited Record

which are the most common reasons given. Nor are they needed for another dozen reasons I've seen people give!

Several developers I know, experienced in Visual Basic database development and Access development, estimate that development, using Unbound Forms, by highly experienced developers, takes two to three times as long, using Unbound Forms, as it does when using Access and Bound Forms. That’s because with Bound Forms the Access Gnomes do the vast majority of the heavy lifting; with Unbound Forms the developer has to write code for everything...even the most mundane tasks!

Bottom line is…with Bound Forms you end up writing code for a few specialized situations, such as #1-#3, as listed above…and with Unbound Forms you have to write code for virtually everything that needs to be done!

If you insist on using Unbound Forms, you'd be far better off using a straight VB or C++ front end with a SQL Server or Oracle back end.

• You can create an EXE file which gives total protection to your code/design
    • You can distribute the db to PCs without a copy of Access being on board
    • Your data security is far, far better than anything you can do in Access

Don't misunderstand me...there are a few, specialized situations, where an Unbound Form is preferable...but anyone who routinely uses them for everything, has simply made a bad choice in deciding to work in Access.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Heres a similiar situation with a solution along the lines of what Bob suggested
    https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...500#post462500
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.