Cookie is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Put a Bluetooth button on an Access form to transfer files from a mobile device.

I have a database for a cat rescue organisation in development. A prospective user of the data entry form, who is mobile phone savvy but not computer savvy asked, "why can't I just upload the photo of the cat I have on my phone via Bluetooth, without all this mucking around through the task bar (Win 10) to receive a file?" Well that's a challenging question for me, a novice but, I'll open it up to the forum for some exciting and advancing input.

The user is responsible for all the data entry so there is no back office work to read an email with an attachment or to pick up a mobile and transfer from an SMS. Also what ends up in a cloud is likely not to come back because that is too remote and complicated for this user.

Can you help me with this please? Challenge convention!!!! (please )
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-18-2020 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Fix Syntax.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I will watch this one with interest for sure. It sounds like building your own airplane when you could just buy a ticket (use existing Windows functionality). From what little I know, you're looking at API's and communicating with RS232 serial ports. I have been writing code for a few years and would not even want to attempt this because it's likely that whatever I find won't work as written (there'd be something about it that is out of date and needs to be tweaked for some version of Windows) and I'd stumble around trying to make it work. I've been there, and that even assumes I found anything remotely related to what I was looking for.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    If he's an Apple fanboy then I'd bet he's out of luck.

For android users there is this . . . https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/yo...ot:overviewtab
    I have it and use it all the time. He could drag and drop a photo from the phone app to your cat pix folder.
    If this helped, please click the star * at the bottom left and add to my reputation- Thanks

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you Virtually Inert Person,

I suppose you could start with some simple statements in a plan for a Bluetooth button on the form. Maybe let's start with that.

Plan:

1. Objective - Put a Bluetooth button on the access form that actually works.
    2. Reason - We want to be able to transfer files using Bluetooth from a mobile device to a target directory based on the record being displayed.
    3. Method - When the Bluetooth button is clicked, the Bluetooth dialogue box is called from Windows and the target directory is automatically set in the Bluetooth dialogue box.
    4. Challenges - worse than changing the direction of an asteroid headed for earth, creating an app to achieve this across the different platforms.

Some ideas:

Access the bluetooth system driver...
    Use Java to emulate the user process to bring up the Bluetooth dialogue box.
    An experienced Oracle developer may be able to come in on this.
    Last edited by Cookie; 09-18-2020 at 11:45 PM.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you Moke123,

I'll explore that. User is an Android Huawei

Windows 10 Office 365
    Going back to the Bluetooth button on a form, would it be possible to record the user keystrokes and mouse clicks that one might do via the task bar and run that as some sort of batch process?

Windows 10 Office 365
    So, using the the roadmap that I set out in my previous post on the subject, Step 3, is anyone willing to explore the BT Tools approach to develop a HotKey Shortcut then working that HotKey Shortcut through a macro, perhaps?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.