Ellpee is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Tabs within Tabs within Tabs

Okay, so right from the gitgo, no, I cannot post a copy of the database or any significant chunk of the VBA, it's proprietary. Will have to try to paint the best word picture I can and hope someone can help.

• Database has "Form A", which has a tab control with several tabs.
    • Some of those tabs contain another form, which also has a tab control with multiple tabs. Let's call any one of those "Form B." So, tabs within tabs within tabs.

So, I'm trying to add a tab to Form A (got that part right), and then give the new tab a tab control that will eventually have several tabs.

PROBLEM: When I add the tab control to "Form B," even before populating it with any objects, it shows up on ALL the tabs on Form A, overlaying what was already there. And whatever I might populate that new tab with also shows up in all the "parent" tabs.

I'm sure I'm missing something very basic here (slap own forehead), but what? (OBTW, in case it matters, I'm working in Access 2013, customer is in 2016.)

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    PROBLEM: When I add the tab control to "Form B," even before populating it with any objects, it shows up on ALL the tabs on Form A
    I have a db that could demonstrate where you are going wrong - but it's proprietary.

SUGGEST: think about how you are adding the tab control

Uh, okay, so I'm adding the tab control to "Form A" by using the "Add New" feature. That gives me a new, blank tab. All Good. But if I add anything to that new tab, a "subordinate" tab control or a button or anything else, all that shows up on all the original tabs to "Form A," on top of whatever was there previously. Can you please elaborate?

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Create FormA with its tab control.

Then Create FormB (with its own tab control) independently of FormA.

Drag FormB onto the desired tab page of FormA.

You can't create another tab control directly on a tab control page. It has to be a form containing a tab control.
    Last edited by davegri; 09-14-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: clarif

Hoped that would help, but no luck.
    (1) Form A already has six tabs; I add a 7th, call it Tab xxx. So far, all good.
    (2) I then drag a finished form with all the tabs I need aside from changing a couple labels and data sources, to my new Tab xxx.
    (3) Curses, foiled again, the new subform with assorted tabs now shows correctly on my new Tab xxx, BUT ALSO ON ALL THE OTHER PRE-EXISTING TABS ON FORM A.
    Tried it as well just adding a form with nothing more than a button control or a dropdown list or a simple text box, same result.

I assume this must be some kind of really, really rookie error on my part, but don't know what. Anyone?
    t

June7 is online now VIP
    Does tab page turn dark when you drag a control over it? If not then the control is not being deposited onto the page.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    BUT ALSO ON ALL THE OTHER PRE-EXISTING TABS ON FORM A.
    I believe that's because the dragged form is not on the tab, but on the detail section of the target form, under tab control. You can verify that by moving the tab control on FormA over a bit to show what's underneath.

To correctly drag to a tab control page:
    Before you do the drag, select the tab page on FormA upon which you wish to place FormB. Then, when the dragged cursor is over that selected tab page, the entire tap page should turn black, showing that it is the target.

Wasn't able to get the drag and drop thing to work, but by adding a "Navigation Target" value (form name) to the property list for my new tab (aka "Navigation Button") I got the result I wanted. Thanks to all for your suggestions, they kept me experimenting until the aha moment finally arrived.

June7 is online now VIP
    Then you are not using a Tab control. You are using a Navigation Form. Very different animals.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hmmm, okay, didn't realize that. Was just trying to add a new tab to an already-existing object (from 10 years or so ago) that had half a dozen tabs, and my option under Access 13/16 seemed to be to add a so-called navigation button. Did that, poof, new "tab" appeared, Ellpee all happy. But trying to drag-and-drop anything into the new "tab," or insert anything like a label, didn't work all that well. Open to further education on the difference between tab control/navigation form. Will also research it elsewhere.

June7 is online now VIP
    A Navigation Form has only one active subform at a time. When tab is clicked, one form is removed and another is loaded.

Tab control allows multiple subforms to load.

Thanks. So I'm guessing the Navigation Form is a new add in one of the more recent versions of MSAccess? I used tab controls often back in the 2007/2010 days and didn't realize the change. Does the old tab control even still exist under 2013/2016, or do the newer versions automatically change tab controls to navigation forms? Haven't found an "insert" or "add new" that offers the former as an option....

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I believe the nav form was introduced in 2010. The answer to where is the tab control is easy enough to answer if you look at the tools options in form design. 5th icon from the top left. Adding objects to it can be tricky as noted in post 6. If you're not certain which you have, post a pic of yours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tools.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	43004
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.