RedSanders is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Questionable suggestion by Performance Analyzer

Running Access 365, Windows 10.

Performance Analyzer had only one suggestion for my database - to change a lookup field in a table from "Short Text" to what I think is 'Long Integer. (The end of the suggestion is too long to fit in the Analysis Results window.)

First, the table (tblLocations) being looked up only has 2 fields, - an AutoNumber whose field size is a Long Integer, and a Short Text field set to 40 characters.

In the table (tblScales) containing the lookup field was automatically set to Short Text when the lookup was created. Neither do I see how to change it to a Long Integer, and why would it suggest that when what is being displayed is text?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You have a lookup field in tblScales that uses a field in tblLocations as its source? I didn't know you could do that; probably because like many others, I avoid lookup fields (not lookup tables) and their issues altogether. The more accepted approach is to use a lookup table if you want an easily editable lookup source. Then you would use forms to save the parent record long integer ID (often autonumber PK) into the child record as a foreign key value. In that case, you would be using long integer values to relate records rather than text. Text based keys would require that you use natural keys (real data) instead of autonumbers. So the direct answer from me would be to ditch the lookup field altogether.

I had a lot of links saved but lost them when my hd died, otherwise I'd point you to whatever I had about not using lookup fields. Suggest you see what you can find on it if no one else chimes in with something.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    how to change it to a Long Integer,
    in the table design, choose number, at the bottom in the field properties choose long integer.

why would it suggest that when what is being displayed is text?
    you would need to look at the bound column property - it is usually 0 for the first column which is usually the autonumber field

see this link about the issues you can expect to get using lookups in tables - just because you can does not make it a good idea

http://access.mvps.org/access/lookupfields.htm

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I had a lot of links saved but lost them when my hd died
    Micron, I hope you replaced that with an SSD!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    No, too much $$ and less capacity. Besides, if you're going to drop a laptop I'm not sure it would matter.
    I have a 1 TB usb drive that I wasn't using, but certainly am now. The real important stuff is on OneDrive too.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    No, too much $$ and less capacity. Besides, if you're going to drop a laptop I'm not sure it would matter.
    I have a 1 TB usb drive that I wasn't using, but certainly am now. The real important stuff is on OneDrive too.
    I can't resist the new technology. Or even the old. I have a refurbished ThinkCenter that came with a Core I5 and an SSD that I use for my security/IOT network. It costed me $219.00 on Amazon.
    And we can't ignore backup. I use iDrive.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.