DennyHuber is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Would like attempt to edit table to pop up a form

I have a table of wood shop members that is too easily corrupted by some of the people who have access to the database.

I would like the table to be essentially readonly, and any attempt to edit the table would immediately pop up a form. It seems simple enough but I cannot find the magic incantations. I am relatively new to Access but I'm not afraid of VBA.

Thanks,
    Denny Huber

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    AFAIK, no way to make a table read only. There are measures can be taken to restrict user interaction with tables and queries. Some involve setting database Options: hide navigation pane, disable shortcut menu, customize ribbon, password encryption, etc. Be aware, holding down shift key while opening db will bypass these Option settings.

Securing a database is common topic.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

DennyHuber is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks, June7

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You secure the db by implementing the usual methods and as long as no one can get at the table(s) you can always elect to open a form and make its recordsource a snapshot of the data. Snapshot recordsets cannot be edited. Then you can decide to open it that way for some or provide full access to other users who belong to a group with edit rights. You can also just lock certain form controls based on user profile. You might want to research having a users table that associates db permissions as part of your investigations.

Users should never be allowed to interact directly with tables, and usually not queries either, as a rule.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.