FriQenstein is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Import Error from External Excel file

Greetings all,

I am having some issues importing data from my excel file. Initially, everything imported perfectly fine into my testing table. Now that the data is being imported to a secondary table, the data will not import to a table. Exact same data, exact same table format.
    The only error message I get is "An error occurred trying to import file 'path to file...'. The file was not imported."

Well, geez Microsloth, thanks for not actually telling we what is wrong with the importing process. No explanation whatsoever. I guess Microsoft wants us to guess at the error and spend a few days trying to figure it out?

Is there any way to determine what the actual error is? As I mentioned, the data attempting to be imported worked previously. I have triple checked all column headers, spelling, etc. There is just no clear reason why it is not working. At least when there are formatting issues, to an extend, Access will usually import what it can figure out and create a temporary table with the erroneous items it could not figure out... but not this time. I just says NO for no reason.

Is there some sort of error log I can rummage through to see if there is some clarification to why my import is failing?

Regards.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    instead of using the transferspreadsheet, LINK the external xl file as an external table.

Save the new file to the same place every time: c:\temp\File2Import.xlsx
    link it as external table
    build a query to append the data. Then you can see better what fields are what to go where.

the steps are then:
    1. copy new xl file to generic name: c:\temp\File2Import.xlsx
    2. run append query.
    done.

the query will yell if something is wrong.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.