TheDeceived is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Form_Load Events

I've just come across probably the most frustrating thing in Access so far, and it has cost me about an hour of day, so apologies if this post comes across in an aggressive manner.

I'm currently asking a form to load different subforms into a child frame dependant on a button click from the user.

When they click the button, it changes the SourceObject of the child frame to that of the form I want it to load. From there, I'm using the Form_Load event within each of the subforms to update certain things on screen (such as labels, combo boxes etc).

In total, I have three different forms I am loading onto the child frame. Two of those forms only update values on the main form (i.e. no changes are made to the form that is being loaded), whereas the other form updates a few values within itself and then updates the main form.

Can anybody explain why on Earth you have to change something on the form that is loading for it to process the rest of the code? I just cannot understand why Microsoft would do this :S

If I don't change something to the subform that is being loaded before I make changes to the main form, then it just completely ignores the Form_Load event. However, if I put a line like...

Code:
        Me.AllowEdits = True
    ...then it steps into the Form_Load event and processes any further code beyond that point.

Why?! Argh!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Welcome to Event Driven Software. In this case those events are driven by the person sitting at the keyboard and not the programmer who is in complete control of the machine at all times. Have you considered using a Tab Control without the tabs visible? The effect is probably the same but almost everything takes place on the MainForm. You can activate whatever you want as you switch tabs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.