MrBologna is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Running Sum field shows up blank for one value

I have a couple running sum fields on a Sales report.

They all work correctly, and when I print them they come out fine. But in report view, the second value from the bottom shows up blank unless I target it and then start to scroll.

Any ideas why it would be "invisble" for a certain record, only in form view?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sales_report_issue1.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	42905

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sales_report_issue2.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	42906

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    When the sum of an addition operation is blank, which is to say Null, it's usually because one of the value being added is itself Null...Anything plus Null is Null.

But the your example shows that this is not so, in these cases.

I suspect that it must have something to do with the data in that particular 'Bookings,' but I suspect that we'll need to actually work with a copy of your file to figure it out. If you could compile and ZIP it up and attach it to a post, I'm sure someone will be happy to take a look at it.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Windows 10 Access 2016
    the "year to date" field is just a running sum of the same data that's in the bookings column to the left of it (also a sum of everything in that month, just not a running sum), if there was something wrong with my data then wouldn't that column have the same issue?

Also since it shows up in the print and when I highlight it, and the month after that is okay, that also makes me believe the data isn't an issue.

I'll work on putting together something you guys can work with but there's a lot of stuff I have to remove and combine from the backend so it'll take me some time.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    agree would not appear to be a data issue - but is there any significance in it being the 2nd to last record? - what about 2018?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    there shouldn't be any difference between them as far as I know, and it's consistent across every year. Note it's not even always November, for 2020 I have the issue for the August value.
    I did just figure out that If I scroll to a specific spot, the value will show up in the same way it does when I highlight it however.

See attached video for a better idea of what I mean.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I understand that - you have demonstrated that after August there is just September for 2020, for all preceding years, there is just December after November.

The common factor is the problem record is second to last in the group.

So for 2020, if you had an October, would the blank field move to September?

Or perhaps you can temporarily modify your query to exclude september for 2020 - so august is the last month - does the problem then move to july? If it does, suggest exclude august and earlier months to see if/when the problem goes away.

At the moment my only other suggestion is to

1. delete the control
    2. save the report
    3. compact/repair the db
    4. reinstate the control (not by copy/pasting)
    5. has this solved the problem?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sorry for the late reply, got a little busy.

If I remove September, the problem does move to July. It disappears when I've removed all but 2 months, and it does not matter what months are included or excluded. 3 or more months and I have the issue.

Removing the control and re-adding it fixed it, but then the problem happened on my Shipments instead! redoing the shipments running sum in the same way just made the issue move back to the bookings column.

All of this makes me think it's some weird memory issue. It's not the end of the world, just a mild inconvenience so I'll probably just leave it.
    Thank you for your assistance, +rep!

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    You *could* post your dB (remove/change any sensitive data) so we can analyze the dB.............

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.