TINMAN is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Adding new field in table to an Existing Form

I am trying to add a new field I created in a Table to an existing Form.

I have been away from Access for awhile but this used to be a relatively easy task. Generally what I have done in the past is to go to the design view for the Form and click on add existing fields. In the past a list of fields would show up to the right of the form and I could just click on the field and drag it to the field.

Now when I click on add existing fields in gives me a field list which takes up the whole screen. If I right click on the field it says add to view but nothing happens to the form. Why can't I get the field list to the right of the form like I used to, or how can I use the full screen field list which currently shows up?

Any help would be appreciated for this amateur senior citizen Access user.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Another way is to create a new text box or what ever type of control would be best and then choosing the new field name in the controls Record Source property from the dropdown on the right or by just typing in the name of the new field.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Is this the same database that you posted in post #19 at https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...t=79671&page=2

If so, and the database is the same one, then, perhaps by explaining the new field and form, readers can offer more focused advice/suggestions.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    Another way is to create a new text box or what ever type of control would be best and then choosing the new field name in the controls Record Source property from the dropdown on the right or by just typing in the name of the new field.
    Thank You this worked just fine. I appreciate your help.

I am still having trouble understanding why the field list doesn't show up to the right of the field, when you click on add existing field. I used to do that many times in the past without any troubles. This techniques shows up in several You Tube videos. Did Microsoft change something??

Any how, again many thanks for your help.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    No this is a new database.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TINMAN View Post
    .....Why can't I get the field list to the right of the form like I used to, or how can I use the full screen field list which currently shows up.....
    Can you click and drag the left side of the Field List frame and drag to the right to resize it. Then if you Double click a field in the list it will be added to the form.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Bob,

Thanks very much for your help!!! I can't believe I couldn't figure that out, such a simple fix. Before I never add a problem with the Field List Frame taking up the whole screen, it always was a smaller screen just to the right of the form. You can't believe how much frustration this caused as I had done this many times in the past.

Again thanks for your help.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You're welcome. Always pleased to help if I can
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.