DataDummy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Custom Format not persistent or inherited

I am working with data that is stored in the table as a long number but is most useful when shown to the user with a
    custom format ##-##-###-###-####.

The help files say that if I apply this format to the table field, the format will be inherited everywhere the data is used and shown. This is sadly not true.
    If I run a query against the table the resulting data set will either show an un-formatted number or one that looks like #########-#-#-#-#.

If I set the number format to Custom and retype the format pattern in the query properties and rerun it, I will get results with the proper format once.
    Despite having saved the query after setting the format, re-running the query from scratch will produce the messed up format not the one I entered.

This is true in Excel as well. You can set the format and view it, but reopening the spreadsheet will produce the data with an incorrect format.

Exporting a correctly formatted data set from Access to Excel with formatting will produce an Excel spreadsheet with bad formatting.

So I have several questions:
    1. How do I make MY format persistent and stick to the data wherever it is used?
    2. How can I program a new default format so I can just select my format pattern from the drop-down list under format? I'd like to do this for Access and Excel since I use the data across both platforms. I shouldn't have to keep retyping ##-##-###-###-#### every time.
    3. Why does Access and Excel (my assumption) pervert ##-##-###-###-#### to #########-#-#-#-#? By observation, that seems to be what is going on since the number of hyphens is the same, but the number holders (#) get changed.
    4. Why is this formatting a one time use thing? It works once correctly and then no longer?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it might have something to do with the number of digits -a long has a maximum number of 4,294,967,296 i.e. 10 digits - your format requires 14 digits

either way, use of the # character says 'maybe there is a number, maybe not' so you should be useing 0

00-00-000-000-0000

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would change the field type to Text.
    Any field that is a number and I don't/won't perform math on it, I set the field type to Text.

Consider the USA Social security Number. In the Employee table, the field name would be "end_ssn" and type would be "Text". I only store the digits, not the dashes. In a query, the SSN column would be SSN: Format([end_ssn],"@@@-@@-@@@@").
    (I use queries for Form/Report the record source.)

To enter the SSN, I set the Input Mask for the text box to "000\-00\-0000;;#".

A Zip Code field would also be a text field.

Haven't used/programmed Excel much in the last 30+years, so I can't speak to that.....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.