Jimbo54 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Can I embed a writeable checkbox in a report?

I'm updating an Access database that I created a long time ago. One of the tables in it ("Aircraft") contains data relating to wartime aircraft losses, the interesting data for this question being "Airframe Number" (The primary key), "Squadron Number" and "Date of Loss". There are significantly more fields in the table relating to crew, target, notes, etc, etc. but they are not relevant to this question so omited from this descripton.

I was asked by the user to create a report which extracts the Airfrate Number, the Squadron Number, and the date of loss, and to add a "Complete" field (yes/no), which when set to "yes" in the table, gives the user a quick reference in the report that no further work is needed on that airframe. I added a "Complete" column to the "Aircraft" table, and using the report generator wizard, created a report that lays out the four fields. To manipulate the "Complete?" field, the user was expected to go to the "Aircraft" entry form and select "yes/no", and that would show up as a checkbox on the report just created.

That all works fine, no problem, but the user now is asking if I can make the "Complete?" checkbox on the report read/write, so he can do blocks of "complete" notifications from the report without having to access the "Aircraft" entry form individually for every aircraft.

I don't know if it is possible to do this, let alone how to achieve it...I have always created reports as read-only, but I wonder if I can embed a "read/write" form in the report (Somehow!) that allows the modification of a table entry apparently from within a report.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Reports are always read only. You could create code that updated the table via an update query or recordset, using the primary key as a criteria. The report would need to be in Report view, not Preview.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.