AndyJMiles is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Compare each record in a table with all other records to detect duplication with complex criteria

As per the title, I want to compare each record in an appointments table with all other records in that table to detect duplication, using complex criteria.

The SQL statement for the criteria is as follows-

WHERE

[Date] = [Tables_Appointments].[Date] ----date is the same----

AND

( [Staff-Name] = [Tables_Appointments].[Staff-Name] OR [Consulting-Room] = [Tables_Appointments].[Consulting-Room]) ----either room or staff the same

AND

( [StartTime] Between [Tables_Appointments]![StartTime] And [Tables_Appointments]![EndTime] OR [EndTime] Between [Tables_Appointments]![StartTime] And [Tables_Appointments]![EndTime]) ----there is any overlap between start and end times for a consultation appointment----

So, if there is a time overlap, on the same date, for either the same room, or the same member of staff, it will be flagged up as an error.

This seems logically, and syntactically correct, in itself, but I am at a loss as to how to get Access to perform this test for each record in a table, compared with every other record in the table.

Anyone know how to do this? My current query brings up all records in the table.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Something like this perhaps. Note date is a reserved word and should not be used as a field name and using non alphanumeric characters can cause unexpected issues

SELECT *

FROM [Tables_Appointments] A INNER JOIN
    [Tables_Appointments] B ON A.Date=B.Date

WHERE (A.
    [Staff-Name] = B.[Staff-Name] OR A.[Consulting-Room] = B.[Consulting-Room])

AND A.[StartTime]<=B.EndTime AND A.EndTime>=B.StartTime

AND A.PK<>B.PK

You need the last criteria otherwise the A alias will always return itself from the B alias

Windows 10 Access 2016

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Something like this perhaps. Note date is a reserved word and should not be used as a field name and using non alphanumeric characters can cause unexpected issues

SELECT *

FROM [Tables_Appointments] A INNER JOIN
    [Tables_Appointments] B ON A.Date=B.Date

WHERE (A.
    [Staff-Name] = B.[Staff-Name] OR A.[Consulting-Room] = B.[Consulting-Room])

AND A.[StartTime]<=B.EndTime AND A.EndTime>=B.StartTime

AND A.PK<>B.PK

You need the last criteria otherwise the A alias will always return itself from the B alias
    Thanks for that - will try it out tomorrow. Is "PK" just a meaningless string or does it refer to anything specific

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is "PK" just a meaningless string or does it refer to anything specific
    it's the unique ID for the record - known as a primary key. It is usually an autonumber and should have no meaning other than uniquely identifying the record.

The best solution will be, when you can create an additional unique index (not PK) which uses same conditions you listed. Then you don't have to code anything - Access simply doesn't insert any double entries for this index.

Windows 10 Access 2016

Thumbs up Success

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    it's the unique ID for the record - known as a primary key. It is usually an autonumber and should have no meaning other than uniquely identifying the record.
    Yes - sorry - I'm familiar with Primary Key, which, in this case is an autonumber vale for the Appointment record number.

I tried it, and it works fine, though I will follow your advice and change field names, though have had no trouble from them to date.

So - thanks very much for that. I will also check out the "create an index" suggestion from the other contributor.

My only remaining consternation is that I do not understand exactly how, or why, it works, so will need to do some reading up.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks - The query suggested by Ajax works, but will look into this idea too.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows 10 Access 2016

Thanks

Thanks for all the help with this. I have decided to go with the query, and report, rather than the index. Blocking all apparent duplicates would not be appropriate, because of some fuzziness in the data. The report allows people to decide what, if anything, needs changing.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.