sheusz is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Split Dadatase Questions

Hi all

I recently split a DB that is being shared among a number of users (currently up to 10 simultaneously). The process went fine, but I have a couple of questions and would appreciate some feedback.

1. Before the split the DB file size was about 29Mb. After the split the back end came in at 15Mb but the front end remained at 29Mb (original size before the split). I would have thought the the front end size would have reduced to about 14Mb. Can anyone explain this please?
    2. All the users are on a local server. Instead of installing the front end on every users terminal, I'd prefer to have the front end remain on the server and have a shortcut on each users terminal point to this. I've seen some posts where this is OK and other where it isn't. None of the users will want to create their own customization on the front end. What are the main disadvantages of this approach?

Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have you run Compact and Repair on both files?

Increased risk of corruption is main disadvantage to users running same file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Have you run Compact and Repair on both files?
    Well, silly me. I ran compact and repair before the split. Didn't occur to me that I'd have to do it afterward.

Thank you for the reply June7

You can have all front-ends on server, but you must have a separate front end for every user there. Users can have icons e.g. on their desktops, which run their FE's. An additional bonus is easier way to update FE's when new version is developed - you simply replace old version with new one, keeping FE's name same.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    You can have all front-ends on server, but you must have a separate front end for every user there. Users can have icons e.g. on their desktops, which run their FE's. An additional bonus is easier way to update FE's when new version is developed - you simply replace old version with new one, keeping FE's name same.
    Now, that is a good idea. I'll try that approach. Thanks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.