cfwoodbury is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Database Corruption Issues

I have an access DB that has been operating without issue for over three years. Starting about a month ago, I am experiences periodic corruption:

The user sees this message: "Unrecognized database format..."

When I attempt to open the DB i get the message: "Microsoft Access has detected that this database is in an inconsistent state....." I click OK and Access makes a copy of the DB and then repairs it. I have never had if fail to repair properly.

This is a multi-user application but I have separate back end DB's running on a Server 2008 server. It is a small network with only about six users. All hardware is new within the past year and most of the user machines are running Windows 10 pro.

As I have had new incidents I have seem to have a connection with major Windows Updates. It seems (and this is a bit subjective) that the problem has to do with record locking not being consistent. I also shows up when one or more of the user workstations are on different versions of the update. Maybe a coincidence but the problems started about the time that "2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 KB4284835" was released.

I am curious if any other developers have experienced this corruption issue recently with a mature DB.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    i had a db with multi users too. The 1 PC kept corrupting the db FE.
    I did rebuild the app on that PC. New db, import everything, tbls, qrys, relations,etc.
    It seemed to help.

make daily backups. (or more often)

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You haven't said whether each user has their own copy of the Fe on their own PC. If not corruption is inevitable.
    However there is an issue with win 1803. See https://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/ac...gnized-format/
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Shadow9449 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cfwoodbury View Post
    I have an access DB that has been operating without issue for over three years. Starting about a month ago, I am experiences periodic corruption:

The user sees this message: "Unrecognized database format..."

This is a multi-user application but I have separate back end DB's running on a Server 2008 server. It is a small network with only about six users. All hardware is new within the past year and most of the user machines are running Windows 10 pro.

Maybe a coincidence but the problems started about the time that "2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 KB4284835" was released.

I am curious if any other developers have experienced this corruption issue recently with a mature DB.
    I'm glad that someone is raising this because I've been having this problem with my clients for the past 2 weeks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...updeploylegacy

Apparently MANY others are having problems with 1803 and related Win 10 updates. I hope it's resolved promptly.

TommyTN is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    So, in discussions here and on other sites, and with others who have this problem, there does not seem to be a one size fits all solution. However, everyone, so is in agreement this problem is fairly clear.

But for the sake of clarity, was it Win 10 1803 or 1809 when it broke?

And it does not seem to be different in 32 bit or 64 bit.

The versions of Access effected are:

All?

1997?

2003?

2007?

2010?

2016?

365?

Also, 32 and/or 64 bit?

I know this is repition for some of you, but I'd like to get this as clear as possible for this reason:

I WOULD LIKE THE CONTRACT PROGRAMMER WORLD TO REALIZE THERE IS A LARGE OPPORTUNITY FOR A SOLUTION TO A HUGE PROBLEM. BY POSTING THIS HERE AND ON SEVERAL OTHER BLOGS THAT CONCERN THIS ISSUE, I HOPE TO INSPIRE EXPERT CONTRACTORS TO BRING AN EXPERT SOLUTION TO THIS MARKET. PERHAPS, IF IT IS GOOD ENJOUGH, MAYBE MICROSOFT WILL PURCHASE IT AND INCLUDE IT IN THEIR EVENTUAL SOLUTION.

Millions of MS Access databases have been effected by this and so have the programmers, contract or in-house, who have developed these time & labor saving applications.

cfwoodbury is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    My problem happened over two years ago and was almost certainly related to a cumulative update to Win 10 version 1803. All of my workstations were running Win 10 pro and each had its own copy of the FE running locally. I have not had any corruption issues since.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.