MrMarmite is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

When 2 become 1

Hi,

I have two queries which I want to combine. They both have identical structures. There are many fields, however, what this boils down to, I think, is this simple example

Q1:
    Field Value
    Type S
    Value E
    DateTime 25/07/2020 04:32:27

Q2:
    Field Value
    Type R
    Value F

What I want to be able to do is create

Field Value
    Type1 S
    Value1 E
    Type2 R
    Value2 F

This is based on the DateTimes being the same in the two records.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Start a new query and add both those queries to the grid. Create a join on the date/time value (it will need to be EXACTLY the same). Add the desired fields from the two queries. You can alias the fields to identify which query each value is coming from.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks...I tried that and got nothing...and the dates are the same to the second.

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Start a new query and add both those queries to the grid. Create a join on the date/time value (it will need to be EXACTLY the same). Add the desired fields from the two queries. You can alias the fields to identify which query each value is coming from.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Can you attach the db here?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    and the dates are the same to the second.
    dates are stored as double type numbers - the bit after dp representing time as number of seconds divided by the number of seconds in the day (86400). Doubles do not make good fields to join on as you can get very small variations in the actual value which visually is rounded to the nearest second.

suggest try converting the date fields to text using the format function and joining on those instead

Code:
    SELECT *
    FROM TblA, tblB
    WHERE format(tblA.DT,"dd/mm/yyyy hh:nn:ss")= format(tblB.DT,"dd/mm/yyyy hh:nn:ss")
    or introduce an element of allowance

Code:
    SELECT *
    FROM TblA, tblB
    WHERE tblA.DT between dateadd('s',-1,tblB.DT) and dateadd('s',1,tblB.DT)

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why are you needing to combine queries which were likely derived from same source data? Maybe these intermediate queries are not needed. Provide sample raw data. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Why are you needing to combine queries which were likely derived from same source data? Maybe these intermediate queries are not needed. Provide sample raw data. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    Many thanks. I would need to recreate a similar dB, as this one has a lot of personal details in it. They were both created from the same data. Essentially one of them is the sent values, and the other is the received values. Each transaction creates these two entries. The only common field is the time stamp, and even that can be a second different. It's very frustrating

Windows 10 Office 365
    Many thanks. I was beginning to think that even though two dates look the same, they might not be stored as the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    dates are stored as double type numbers - the bit after dp representing time as number of seconds divided by the number of seconds in the day (86400). Doubles do not make good fields to join on as you can get very small variations in the actual value which visually is rounded to the nearest second.

suggest try converting the date fields to text using the format function and joining on those instead

Code:
    SELECT *
    FROM TblA, tblB
    WHERE format(tblA.DT,"dd/mm/yyyy hh:nn:ss")= format(tblB.DT,"dd/mm/yyyy hh:nn:ss")
    or introduce an element of allowance

Code:
    SELECT *
    FROM TblA, tblB
    WHERE tblA.DT between dateadd('s',-1,tblB.DT) and dateadd('s',1,tblB.DT)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.