rushB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Approval

Hello there,

I have created a form for a new costumer, now I want to make it that once the first instance completed it, the manager will have to approve it. Idealy it would also come with a time stamp. Until now I haven't found any help in this way and would be super happy if anyone could help me.

Thanks in advance and stay safe

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    1. include a date field in your customer called say 'approvedDate'. leave it blank when the record is created

2. make a form only the manager can open based on a query that provides a list of all unapproved customers - i.e. the criteria would be where approvedDate is null

3. in the form set the approvedDate control locked property to true and in the control double clickevent put

approvedDate=Date

the manager can then open the form and double click on the approvedDate to set the date to today

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can also surmise from the OP that a time stamp is wanted for when the new record is created. Not sure if that is true though.
    Or a time stamp is wanted when approved rather than just a date, in which case you'd want to use approvedDate = Now()
    Note that if you don't restrict the records for this form to only unapproved ones, double clicking on the control where there is an existing value will over-write it. Be careful of that.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

rushB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    1. include a date field in your customer called say 'approvedDate'. leave it blank when the record is created

2. make a form only the manager can open based on a query that provides a list of all unapproved customers - i.e. the criteria would be where approvedDate is null

3. in the form set the approvedDate control locked property to true and in the control double clickevent put

approvedDate=Date

the manager can then open the form and double click on the approvedDate to set the date to today

Would you mind helping me creating the query? Your steps seem to be the perfect solution but I don't have the knowledge (and don't know where to acquire it) right now to create it.

With best regards

rushB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I can also surmise from the OP that a time stamp is wanted for when the new record is created. Not sure if that is true though.
    Or a time stamp is wanted when approved rather than just a date, in which case you'd want to use approvedDate = Now()
    Note that if you don't restrict the records for this form to only unapproved ones, double clicking on the control where there is an existing value will over-write it. Be careful of that.
    the timestamp would be for the date and time it was approved by the second instance

Would you mind helping me creating the query?
    I did describe it

Select * from mytable where approvedDate is null

rushB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

approvedDate=Date

Okay thanks for the explanaition. I found some videos on how to build the query but the only thing I am stuck is the fact how I make some forms not acessible for different users or how I put some stuff just to "read only" for some users. Would you mind giving me a tutorial there (youtube or so on) bc I don't find anything on there

how I make some forms not acessible for different users
    you need a login process which identifies the user and a table with the username and role or access rights.

e.g.
    tblUsers
    UserPK
    UserName
    Role

users do not have to 'login' as such, you can user their windows login which you match to the table - if no match the app closes, if there is a match the app continues, but perhaps enable/disable menu option depending on userRole.

You can also use this table to populate a 'userFK' field in a table so you know who created the record

There are various ways to get the username - the easiest being environ("username")

how I put some stuff just to "read only" for some users
    same principle as above - but you might need another field other than Role if some users have the same role but different read/write privileges.

there are plenty of threads out there on this and other forums - google something like 'access database security' to find out more

rushB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    you need a login process which identifies the user and a table with the username and role or access rights.

e.g.
    tblUsers
    UserPK
    UserName
    Role

users do not have to 'login' as such, you can user their windows login which you match to the table - if no match the app closes, if there is a match the app continues, but perhaps enable/disable menu option depending on userRole.

You can also use this table to populate a 'userFK' field in a table so you know who created the record

There are various ways to get the username - the easiest being environ("username")

same principle as above - but you might need another field other than Role if some users have the same role but different read/write privileges.

there are plenty of threads out there on this and other forums - google something like 'access database security' to find out more
    Okay thanks for the explanaition and help. I will dig myself into it

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    As for locking a form if other users can also open it, one option is to make or set the form recordsource to dbOpenSnapshot, in which case nothing can be edited. To allow editing in one or a small number of fields (2 or 3) it is often simpler to loop through all the form controls that are textboxes, combos or maybe listboxes, set them all to disabled and then enable the 1 or 2 you need to be enabled. See how to loop over form controls.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.