Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ammon is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

I am trying to figure out how to create a workbook and have it show specific data in a form

Hello Forum Members,

My name is Ammon. I am a novice when it comes to MS Access so please pardon my ignorance. I am trying to create a database to show the cohesion between school assignments and the Core Learning Standards that is expected from the state. In my example I have subjects, the topic of the assignment, the assignments and the Core Learning Standards which are reading, writing and speaking.
    Each Standard has a descriptive list of what each student is expected to learn during the semester. From that description, the school assignment is then compared to evaluate which of the Standards are covered in the assignment or lesson.
    What I am trying to create is a form that can be looked through by each teacher to see with which standards the assignments and lessons are aligned. The only field I would want them to be able to enter data into would be the notes field. I have attached an example for of what I’m hoping to accomplish.
    I would also like to figure out how to create a menu with options that allow the user to jump to specific forms with assignment topics, and a form to view the standards and their descriptions.
    Thank you in advance for any assistance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Ammon

Your list of Topics relates to English Subject Only

Do you have a list of Topics for All Subjects?
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

Ammon is offline Novice

Edited Example Database

Hello Mike,
    Thank you so much for your response to my post. Sorry, I didn’t think through my example well enough when I created it. I edited it to include the other subjects and created a Core Standards table for each of the subjects. If you could assist me on how best to figure this out it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your help.
    Ammon

OK will take a look and get back to you

Ammon is offline Novice
    Thank you. Thank you for the read also. I really appreciae your time.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    My 2 cents....

It really helps if you (start to) design your dB/tables using a chalk board, white board, paper/pencil, dry erase pen on window pane (my fav), etc.
    Much easier to see/change tables/fields/relationships before getting into the computer.

Here is how I see you might change things:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Learning2.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	42460

Still not quite sure how things are related, but is looks like Subjects have Topics, have Assignments, have Core Learning Standards....
    The tables with the "???" - well, I'm not sure where/how they fit in. But tables that have identical structures can/should be combined with an additional field - The 5 Topics tables could be combined into 1 table with an additional field for Subject.
    Right now, if you want to add a new Subject, you would have to add a new table and/or query for Topics, a new table and/or query for Assignments , a new table and/or query for Core Learning Standards, not to mention forms for the new Topics, Assignments, , Core Learning Standards, etc. And don't forget about the Reports.
    A lot of work, just to add 1 new subject.

And don't you need a student table?

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Just to say I agree totally with Steve (ssanfu). In the old days we used multiple chalk boards to identify potential tables/attributes and relationships --one quick brush stroke could remove a found inconsistency. We also used colored threads on a fabric partition wall to bring finance and several grants/loans applications into a shared database. As said, it is much easier to adjust a model than to restructure a physical database.
    The only thing I would add to Steve's response is - don't overlook the importance of "business rules". These simple, but critical statements, represent the essence of your design.
    Last edited by orange; 07-18-2020 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Ammon

I agree with Steve and Orange

I imagine that you want to be able to : -

1. select a Student
    2. select a Subject
    3. select a Topic.
    4. view the assignment for the Topic selected.
    5. view the learning standards for the Assignment

Can you give us a better explanation of the process you need.

Ammon is offline Novice
    Hi Mike, Steve and Orange,
    Thanks a million for the input. The more I am on the on the forum reading from you guys and looking around the more its becoming clearer in my head.
    Steve, what you sent is exactly what I was trying to figure out. I
    I wouldn’t need a student table. The main purpose for the project is so that teachers can take a look at the lessons and assignments they give and see with which of the State Standards they match up with. This way a teacher will be able to look at the lessons and assignments to see where the can better improve to meet State Standards.
    Hopefully by completion, I will be able to have a menu that a teacher can click on Reading for example and a form will pop-up with the Reading Assignment, and a list of all the various Standards that it relates to.
    Thank you so much guys for your assistance on this project with me. The reading and input has helped me beyond words. Mike, Steve and Orange thank you guys.

Hi Ammon

In the screen shot below the Form allows you to select a Subject and the Subform allows you to select the Topics for the Subject Selected.

Your Assignments are listed as follows for English:-

Introduction 1(a) - Write a brief introduction describing yourself
    Introduction 1(b) - Write a short paragraph about what your favorite subjects are and why
    Assignment 2 - Read thr passage and answer the questions based on the content of the passage
    Assignment 3 - (a) Write two sentences for the words provided.
    Assignment 3 - (b) Use the word as a different part of speech in each sentence. Underline the word.
    Assignment 3 - (c) Write in the word and write in brackets at the end of the sentence the part of speech the underlined word is used as.

Can you tell me which of the listed assignments are associated with which Topic?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Subjects.JPG  

Ammon is offline Novice
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumExample.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	42467
    I hope this might serve as a better example of what I am trying top accomplish. The thing is, I know what I need I just don't know how best to go about acheiving it. Again my apologies for my ignorance of the program. At this point I am confused as to what to do. The format you sent is what I am looking for Steve but I just don't know how to get it done.

I know if I had the luxury of time I would be able to figure things out and get it right; but at this point we are trying our best as a staff of a very small and cash trapped school to better evaluate our school program so that we can atleastt put out some lessons online so as not to jeopardise the health of both our teachers and students. I know the route I have taken is the defeating the purpose of the program because I seem to be creating more work for myself as opposed to automating and making it easier. Guys, thanks again for your time, patience and assistance.

Ammon is offline Novice
    Hi Mike,
    1 (a) and 1 (b) would be the Introduction Assignment.
    2 would be the Reading Assignment
    and
    3 (a) (b) and (c) would be the Parts of Speech Assignment

I posted another example and what I hope would be a better explanation of what I'm hoping to accomplish. For instance, I would then want to have a form for my teacher to go into and read what the assigneent was and be able to look under READING, SPEAKING, LISTENING, VIEWING and WRITING and then choose which of the Standard Core descriptions was covered in the assignment. Each of the core headings has roughly 30 or so descriptions. I'm hoping the user will have to ability to choose which of the standards were covered by clicking beside the descriptions from a list that says: "YES", "NO", "PARTIAL" or "NOT APPLICABLE". Each assignment will include several descriptions from each Standard Core.

I hope what I've outlined makes sense Mike. I'm at such a point of confusion, I'm not too sure if it does. I really appreciate your help with this.

Hi Ammon

OK we are making some progress.

In the list of Topics attached can you fill in the Assignment associated with each Topic

Ammon is offline Novice

Edited Topics File

Hi Mike,
    I have entered examples of the assignments in the file. Thanks again for your help.

Ammon

Hi Ammon

OK Got that. Now can you indicate which Specific Assignment Relates to each Standard in the attached.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.