hemantsogani is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Distributing Split database application to different users

I have created an application and split the application into FE and BE. I want to share this application with users. I don't want the user to specify the link path.

If I specify the full path, it may not be suitable for every user e.g. I use drive E while my friend does not have it on his computer.

If I specify just the file name, it looks for the file in Default database folder. The user will be forced to copy the BE there.

Is there a way to specify the path so that it looks for it in the same file as the FE? This way I will be sure that the application will work if both the files are copied in the same folder.

The Be and FE should be on a Network Drive.

Then you Copy the FE to each users PC with a shortcut on their Desktop
    You can PM me if you need further help.
    Good Reading https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/off...on-description

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    As Mike said .... BUT:
    a) the FE should normally be on the C drive (or in a user file area)
    b) do not allow end users to access the network copy of the FE. Place it in a folder where they no direct access.
    Providing a desktop shortcut to the app will solve your concerns
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    think you are saying on your computer the network folder containing the BE is mapped to drive E. On another users machine that folder is mapped to drive X? and another may have it mapped as drive Y

You might be better using a UNC path instead, see this link https://www.lifewire.com/unc-univers...vention-818230

You should be able to find it by right clicking on drive E in windows explorer and selecting properties

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I did not describe my problem correctly in my initial post. It is an unusual situation and hence the replies did not address the problem. Here is another attempt to describe the problem:

The application is a single user application. We want each user to have an independent copy of both FE and BE, where he stores and analyses his own data. The database was split so that I could share any updates to the code without the user loosing his existing data.

The new code file (FE) would link to the already existing back-end file.

I wanted to specify the link to the tables in the FE in such a way that the user had no need to edit the link path using the "Linked Table Manager" each time he got a new copy of the FE.

Hope I have been able to describe the problem more clearly this time

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If each user is using a split db with their own fe and be, and each user's be could be on a network drive but may have different drive letter then you should use UNC path when creating the distributed fe as stated. Then they should not have to do any relinking. If the user isn't on the same UNC path, or that path differs once you start including subfolders, then you'll have to store each users be path in the user table as one of their attributes. Your startup code would then have to DLookup their path and pass the string to the relinking code.

You could also use CurrentProject.Path property in code - as long as each use is savvy enough to make sure the be and the new fe they download is in the same folder. Then the code would simply act as if the new fe and be is in the same location. I don't think you'd need UNC or a table of paths, or have to worry about drive letters.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks. I will write the required code to link the tables. I found examples on the net.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.