hullstorage is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

check barcode serial number before scanning

Morning all,

So we have 2 products that we have:

Product 1 has a serial number like S##########
    Product 2 has a serial number like CP####****

So if a Mr Smith orders product 1 i need to scan serial number in the customers serial number field so is like S##########
    But if i scan in product 2 for Mr Smith so the serial would be CP####**** then i need to generate a cancel event with a message box saying like "Whoops! you have scanned incorrect product, please try again"

What would be the best way round this please ?

This will be gererated from a csv file in to database with all customer details and what they have ordered.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    how do you know which are Mr Smith's products? The fact the code begins with S? The whole structure of the code? If so what about a customer called Mr Simons? Or are these codes stored in a table somewhere?

and what do # & * represent? numbers and text? If so is this fixed? i.e. prefix plus 10 numbers for product 1 and 4 numbers and 4 letters for product2?

You say 'if I scan in a product' but then say 'this will be generated from a csv file'

with so little to go on, best I can suggest is a bit of vba which might, just might, look something like this

if productcode<>[something assigned to the customer] then msgbox "Whoops! you have scanned incorrect product, please try again"

Recommend you provide a bit of background - what does the business do, what is this process.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.