tdcsi is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Unable to enter developer mode using shift key

Relative novice using Office 365 on a windows 10 64bit PC. I’ve converted a db from 2007 to 2016 in which I’m working on setting up security features: specifically removing the options from the file tab on startup via a custom ribbon. The approach I’m mimicking uses a table to draft an XML code (below), then changing the Ribbon name in options\Current Database to the created ribbon.

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2009/07/customui"><ribbon startFromScratch="false"></ribbon><backstage><button idMso="ApplicationOptionsDialog" visible="false"/></backstage></customUI>

The functionality works, however when I hold the shift key down to open in developer mode to bypass the custom ribbon, it still opens with the custom ribbon. The only work around I’ve found is to setup the custom ribbon in a table stored on the back end and change the code there when I want access to the front end.

Is there an oddity in access 365 that doesn’t allow the shift key to open access in developer mode? The coding I’m following was developed for 2013. I have verified Sticky Keys are turned off and after looking through the codes I've added, I don't see anything that references "allowbypasskey"

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You may find my article on improving Access security useful http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/i...ity/4594461803
    The second part of the article includes code and an example app which can be used to test the effect of each part.

You may also want to consider hiding the application interface completely. See http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/c...ace/4594365418

Unlike Excel, Access doesn't have a separate Developer mode. However it is possible to use code to enable/disable the shift bypass
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

tdcsi is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you for the information. I have included much of what you suggest, at least to the front end.

I'm attempting to set things up so that the options or privacy options don't open under normal usage, but will when I hold down the Shift key, which I thought was supposed to bypass all startup macro's and custom ribbons. My issue is the shift open "trick" does not work. I've turned off sticky keys and added the folder to the trusted locations and still have the same issue. My ultimate question is how do you get the shift bypass to work on windows 10 using access 365 (I said 2016 originally, however it actually loads as 365)?

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    My articles explain how to disable the shift bypass.
    However, an experienced developer will know ways to bypass the shift bypass and re-enable it.
    I'm deliberately not going to explain how that is done for security reasons.

All you can do is add code to check whether the shift bypass has been re-enabled and, if so, automatically quit the database.
    Once again I cover that in my various security articles/examples.

But in the end, no Access database can ever be made 100% secure against a skilled and determined hacker with the time and motivation to crack it.
    If that is an issue, move your data to e.g. SQL Server

BTW you need to close and reopen the database twice for the shift bypass disable to take effect.
    Last edited by isladogs; 07-10-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.