scienceguy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Sorting Bar Chart from Greatest to Least

Hello,

I have a table, which contains values of the frequency of words in a string. My goal is to create a bar chart which shows the frequency from greatest to least. I have tied the chart to a query, where the query is sorted by the count. However, my bar chart does not sort accordingly. Here are my screenshots:

TABLE:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table2.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	42369

QUERY:

Name:	query.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	42367

CHART:

Name:	chart.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	42368

In the "Transformed Row Source" property, the SQL is:

SELECT qryKeywordFrequency.[Keyword], Sum(qryKeywordFrequency.[KeywordCount]) AS SumOfKeywordCount
    FROM qryKeywordFrequency
    GROUP BY qryKeywordFrequency.[Keyword]
    ORDER BY qryKeywordFrequency.[Keyword];

However, because "Transformed Row Source" is read-only, I cannot change the ORDER BY portion of the statement. How do I sort the word count from greatest to least?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Y-axis data is text therefore alphabetic sort applies.

Sample table shows data is already summarized so why use grouping query?

Is this Modern Charts? In old MSGraph chart I would modify chart RowSource SQL:

SELECT KeywordCount, Format(KeywordCount, "00") & Keyword AS Cat FROM table;

But why is numeric order so important? That's a main reason for graphic representation of data - easier comparison of numeric values regardless of order. And having the alphabetic sort by keyword makes it easier to find a particular item - "How well did oranges do - oh wow they surpassed everyone!"
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

scienceguy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Y-axis data is text therefore alphabetic sort applies.

Sample table shows data is already summarized so why use grouping query?

Is this Modern Charts? In old MSGraph chart I would modify chart RowSource SQL:

SELECT KeywordCount, Format(KeywordCount, "00") & Keyword AS Cat FROM table;

But why is numeric order so important? That's a main reason for graphic representation of data - easier comparison of numeric values regardless of order. And having the alphabetic sort by keyword makes it easier to find a particular item - "How well did oranges do - oh wow they surpassed everyone!"

I didn't apply the grouping. Access did that automatically. It's a modern chart. We want the data visualized from greatest to least. We aren't interested in alphabetizing it. That actually makes our job much harder.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry, can't help with Modern Charts. I use Access 2010 and would build graph with RowSource as I described.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.