Parvez is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Creating serial number against each headings of 'Personal Profile' Report.

Please bear with my ignorance and lack of experience in Access.

I have generated a report basing on personal information of a group of people of different occupation. The report name is 'Personal Profile'. In the report following headings are used:
    Name:
    DOB:
    Educational Qual:
    Marital Status:
    and few more

I am trying to use serial numbers before each headings as fol:

1. Name:
    2. DOB:
    3. Educational Qual:
    4. Marital Status:
    5. Occupation: etc.......

It is easy to use a label but difficulties arise when one/more of the records are null. Suppose an individual is not married and the heading 'Marital Status' will be not be there. In this case the report will be something like below:

1. Name:
    2. DOB:
    3. Educational Qual:
    4. Occupation: etc.......

How can I generate this serial number please.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Cannot understand your issue. Serial numbers are numbers, not text like DOB?
    If by 'headings' you mean column heading, then it is not a report heading (report has headers anyway, not headings).
    Not being married is a marital status, so why is there no data for any person not married? Wouldn't the value be 'single'?
    All that makes me wonder if your report is based on a crosstab query, and not an ordinary select query and not a table. That is the only reason I can think of that cause your report to not have a Marital Status field, which is what I think you are saying. In other words, it's not clear to me if the whole field is missing from your results some of the time, or if it's always there but sometimes there's no data.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Parvez is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Cannot understand your issue. Serial numbers are numbers, not text like DOB?
    If by 'headings' you mean column heading, then it is not a report heading (report has headers anyway, not headings).
    Not being married is a marital status, so why is there no data for any person not married? Wouldn't the value be 'single'?
    All that makes me wonder if your report is based on a crosstab query, and not an ordinary select query and not a table. That is the only reason I can think of that cause your report to not have a Marital Status field, which is what I think you are saying. In other words, it's not clear to me if the whole field is missing from your results some of the time, or if it's always there but sometimes there's no data.
    Thanks for your early response.
    Sorry for not being able to use correct vocabulary.
    Basis of my Report is a single simple Query. But I have several Unbound fields (with concatenation) and Labels.
    By Headings I wanted to mean the Labels I used in the Report.
    The Report is not a tabular one but it is reporting one’s bio-data.

I mentioned about ‘Marital Status’ as an example, because, at times I don’t require this row/few other rows in the report.

Thanks again.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What you want might be possible with RunningSum property but the numbering doesn't seem to have any real benefit. Of what use is it if Occupation is number 4 for one person but number 5 for another?

Usually numbering of records is done to number same kind of data, such as line numbers for products in a purchase order.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.