techguy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Looking for help in creating a access database

Hello all,

I am looking to create a database and was looking for suggestions on how to go about it. I work in a tech field and build equipment that I loan out to employees. I need a database where I can enter various cells of data such as brand of item, serial number, firmware, etc. I then want this record to be kept as a specific record. I then loan the equipment out to an employee and when they are done, they return it. I need a way to keep a full record of who it was loaned out to, when it was loaned out, when it was returned by the employee. Then when it is loaned out to another employee, I need it to keep a separate line for each loaned out period. So basically say I have Item 1 that contains parts x,y and z. I need to have a ongoing list of when I loaned out item 1, to whom it was loaned to and when it was returned. Sometimes I take parts from item 1 and put them into item 2. So I would like the database to be able to then show item 1 as retired or closed and then a new record created for item 2 as it's changed its internal components. I will still need to be able to check on item 1 in the history to see when it was loaned out, returned etc. There may already be a database or template that I can use to accomplish this, or maybe i need to do it from scratch, but wondering if anyone can guide me. Thank you!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Look at MS Access Lending Library database template for ideas.

File > New > Database> choose Lending Library

There is also an Asset Tracking template.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

techguy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Great thank you, it looks like this will be the solution I needed. And I didn't have to reinvent the wheel. Thanks!!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I assume that you are a complete novice with databases, so I would recommend you to read as much as you can before you start creating anything in Access.

I know nothing of building houses but I'm sure that I would waste a great deal of time and materials if I just started mixing up some sand and cement and used it with some bricks to make something.

If you search this forum you'll find a wealth of information. The link below is to a thread in this forum with masses of good information:
    https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=65220&p=352133#post352133

When you get stuck, come back with your questions. I'm sure you will get a warm reception
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.