Willem is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Access gives Error when importing .xlsx file

Hi all!

I've been working on a database to convert an automatically generated report into a text file for further processing.
    It all works perfectly, except for the import.

I download a file every day, which will have a different name every day (starts with 'report' and then seemingly random numbers, i can't find a logic in it). This file claims to be a .xls, but when opening/saving it shows as a html doc. I then use Save As, to save it as a static file name (i.e. Access.xlsx).
    When i select this file as import in Access, it works fine, and i save it as SavedImport, so i can set an AutoExec on it.

However, if i download a new report, and save it under the same name (Access.xlsx) and try to run the AutoExec (or manually), i get an error:
    'OriginalFileNameOfDownloadedReport' is not a valid name. Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that it is not too long.

It works correctly if i manually import it, and then even on the AutoExec, but once the file has been replaced with a new file (with the exact same static file name), it gives this error.
    It seems to want to refer to some kind of sub-name (the original name of the file), even though the import path is set to the static name.

EDIT: i've also tried it with the same as .xls file, but it gave the same error.
    Attached the 2 excel files. the .xls is how i download it, and the .xlsx is the same but then save d as .xlsx. I tried attaching the Access database, but it gives an error (failed to upload).
    What the database does, is reformat the columns/rows from the excel into a text file for use in Word Mail Merger.
    Report.zip

Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Willem; 06-09-2020 at 03:25 AM.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Provide code and sample file. Attach files to post. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Willem is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Hi, thanks. I've added the Excel files

Willem is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Update.
    I've been able to find out the cause of the issue.
    It was due to the Sheet name of the file. As Access links to the specific sheet name, this needs to be static, rather than changing (each new report has a new name of the sheet).
    Thank you all!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.