7Iron_707 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Help

I use the following to select records and it works fine until I add a 3rd "or", what am I doing incorrectly?....Thank you, it is driving me bonkers

Private Sub command555_Click()
    Dim strsearch As String
    Dim strText As String
    strText = Me.TxtSearch.Value
    strsearch = "SELECT * from Ewing_Folks_Master where ((AncesName like ""*" & strText & "*"") or (Kit like ""*" & strText & "*"") or (Real Name like ""*" & strText & "*""))"
    Me.RecordSource = strsearch
    End Sub
    if I remove the red it works just fine and searches two fields and returns all records containing the string that is found in eiter field, but when I "look" into a 3rd field I get the following

Run-time error '3075':

Snytax error (missing operator) in query expression '((AncesName like "*tes*" or (kit like "*tes*") or (Real Name like "*tes*"))'.

tes is the string that i put into the TxtSearch field as the value to look for

Thank you

dg

dgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	form.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	42099
    Last edited by 7Iron_707; 06-07-2020 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added form view

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Since your field name has a space in it you have to surround the name with square brackets [Real Name]. In the future id recommend not to use spaces or any special characters in your field names or any object names.

Windows 10 Office 365
    wow, you are my hero...and I am following your recommendation(s) to the "letter"

thank you !!!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Go farther. Do not begin an object name with a number. Adopt a naming convention - command555. What will such names mean to you when you need to review the code 6 months later? Not much. It will also prevent you from using a reserved name if you do so. I'd say the chance of that will be zero if you adopt a naming convention for all objects and variables as well.
    Naming conventions
    - http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0012.htm
    - https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=225837

What not to use in names
    - http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Office 365

Help Again.

Quote Originally Posted by kd2017 View Post
    Since your field name has a space in it you have to surround the name with square brackets [Real Name]. In the future id recommend not to use spaces or any special characters in your field names or any object names.
    kd2017, you solved my last problem and now I am in trouble again.

I copied the key word search form and changed the input table and relative fields. Now my search doesn't work, I have a button command555 to search and a button command79 to return back all the records after I use the command555 to select a strText. I know this is going to be either really easy/dumb or very technical/difficult....I never have mediocre problems...btw they are usually are of the easy and dumb type.

I think that the only thing that i did to the code below is changed the from table to: DNA Matchlist Bro_Sis, and change the field [real name] to realname as that is the named of the field in the table.

now when I click command555 or the command79, I receive a "run-time error 3131, Syntax error in from clause" and when click the debug it takes me to the code with the Me.Recordsource = strsearch yellowed

Thanks for helping

dg

Windows 10 Office 365
    Geez, I just figured it out....if tables have spaces us brackets....just like you told me on fields....dugh..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.